Hibiki | 7 . move on

Hibiki was leant back, sipping on some soda and looking off out the window. Everything had been so tense neither of you had spoken many words. Both of you knew something was wrong, but not wrong on the sense that you needed further medical treatment...

So you ended up here at Maggianos. Mainly because you wanted to prove to him and yourself that you weren't going crazy. Only... He didn't remember this place at all. And it was wrong too.

"It's nice in here." He coughed, finally breaking the silence.

"Oh, yeah, it is. More red than I remember."

Hibiki sighed in an exasperated manner, he put his soda aside and leant forward on the table. "What does that even mean, (Y/n)?" The blond asked you, genuine concern showing despite his harsh tone.

"It just is."

"I mean," he sighed again, squeezing his eyes shut, "I mean I get if you came here on your own but... With me? I've never been here. Didn't even know this place existed."

You let out an airy laugh at his statement. "I'm always with you, though. We're together, like, twenty four seven. When would I have had time to come here on my own?"

Hibiki drew a blank, and for a moment you thought you won. That maybe it was just the daze of stress getting to him.

"We're around each other twenty four seven?"

"... Yeah?" Uncertainty crept in at his question.

The blond pursed his lips and fell silent for a few seconds longer.

"What's wrong?" You pressed. "You're acting off."

"You're acting off. I'm acting normal." He snapped. You flinched, and immediately regret shone on his features. "Oh, god, I'm sorry." Hibiki apologized profusely. "Please don't be mad at me, I can't handle you being mad at me anymore. I'm sorry—this is all just a lot."

You scrunched back just a tad, and Hibiki looked as though he'd cry or... Worse. "It's okay, my love. You don't need to be so upset. When do I ever get really mad at you?"

Sure, you both had hiccups, but it was rare the both of you went to bed angry. Usually things got resolved within hours. Neither of you had ever said anything you couldn't take back, either. You never screamed, never even really fought. Just disagreed or got worked up at worst.

"You get mad all the time." He said weakly. "And—and some of it is deserved, I get that, I do. But... But please. Whatever's going on, we can work through it. Please don't leave me again."

Again.

"... I've left you before?"

Hibiki froze up, and his gaze got all cloudy like he wasn't really there. Like he was some hollow shell.

"Hibiki,"

You called his name.

"My love, please. What... What do you remember that I don't...? Why..."

"This has to be a trick," he curled his hands into balls and dropped his head, "it has to be... A-Are you doing this for our sake? Oh," he gasped, "of course. You are." Hibiki nodded enthusiastically and looked to you with widened eyes. "You're playing dumb so we can move on. I get it. Yeah! We can just forget what happened."

Hibiki reached a hand across the table. "Hun?" You breathed.

"I'd rather we work through it, but... If you'd rather pretend it never happened, that's okay too! I'm okay with anything so long as I can stay with you."