Hibiki | 20 . dead end

People say no criminal returns to the scene of the crime. That it's stupid and incriminates them, but if they're one among a crowd, what is there to incriminate? So there Hibiki stood, staring at the blocked-off area. He'd heard the news just an hour prior. The body was already gone, but detectives were on the scene.

His jaw locked when he made eye contact with one. Hibiki furrowed his brows and let out a heavy sigh, turning to leave. Nothing to be done now. He just had to pray to whatever god was out there that he hadn't... That he wouldn't get caught. The rest be damned.

Prison didn't scare him, and the death sentence didn't, but being so far from you? Leaving you all alone in this cruel world? That terrified him.

But he just couldn't have you leaving him either. And Omari was being such a bother.

He wanted to get home as soon as possible, he wanted to never see that damned river again. In hindsight, perhaps a recreational river wasn't the best place to store a body. But you'd pushed him last night. He had to get rid of Omari much quicker than he'd have liked, there wasn't time to plan when you were on the verge of finding out.

Despite his best efforts, Hibiki could see on your face you knew. Just how much you knew was the question. "Love?" He called with a faint smile. "Is everything alright?"

You wouldn't even look at him.

"Omari is dead."

"Huh?" Hibiki was sure the news didn't know that yet. He'd checked so many times in the past ten hours. "He is?"

"Pretty sure..." You confirmed. "The news said a university student died, his body was found at that river not so far off... I went to go see Omari and he wasn't there... Then a cop showed up. A cop, Hibiki."

Hibiki felt a form of jealous anger and pain well up hearing how your voice broke. Even without you looking at him he could see the way tears threatened to spill down your cheeks. "That's awful."

"You didn't like him anyways."

He froze.

"Now just what do you mean by that?"

You hadn't meant anything, actually, you'd just said it. Hibiki's words made you question things. Slowly, you rose your gaze up to Hibiki.

He looked like he was caught red-handed. More guilty than you'd ever seen anybody. Maybe a stranger wouldn't have noticed, but this was your boyfriend. Your best friend of forever.

"... You didn't do anything to him, did you?"

"Why would I do that? How would I? I was here all night, doing homework."

That didn't feel right. "Was I actually dreaming? Did I actually hit my head on the bedside table?" You questioned, rising up onto your feet shakily.

"Sit down," Hibiki breathed, reaching his hands out to help you, "you're still sick. Stop acting irrational."

You whacked his hand away. "Don't fuck with me Hibiki. What really happened last night?!"

"Don't do this right now, please, my love." Hibiki begged, "I'm sure they'll find the culprit and, and..."

Neither of you could look away from the other.

"You killed him."

"He deserved it."

Despite the fact you were the one accusing him of such ridiculous notions, it caught you off guard to hear him admit it. Hibiki clearly hadn't meant to though by the way he slapped a hand over his mouth afterward.

"You killed him?" Your breathing hitched. "I... I smelled blood last night. I heard something– and it smelled like bleach this morning.." Hibiki watched as your expression dropped, feeling helpless and overwhelmed. "... You fed me the entire time I was sick... I always felt worse after eating. You... Those weird ingredients... But you wouldn't have... Poisoned me, right...?"

It felt like the world was collapsing. Never had Hibiki looked just so unfamiliar. He'd looked like an imposter before, but now, now he was just a stranger. "We can talk about this later." Hibiki shook his head wildly. "Just get some rest–"

"Stop telling me to get some rest!" You barked in return. "I've rested more than enough! I've trusted you!"

"Because you should! I know what's best, my love! For you, for us." He reached out again, and you recoiled.

"Stay the hell away from me! Fuck, I can't look at you right now!" Shaking your head wildly, you began to walk away. This time he caught your wrist, his hold harsh, his nails digging into your skin. "Let me go," you hissed at him, glaring like a cornered animal.

"Then don't leave," he begged, "don't leave."

"I have to," you muttered, "someone needs to tell the cops who did it."

Hibiki's breathing hitched, and his grip on you tightened even further. You cried out in pain as he tugged you towards him. "No, no no no, you're not going to leave." Hibiki shook his head wildly. "You're never leaving me again, my love. Even if I have to make you stay."

"I'd rather die."

Maybe you didn't mean to go that far, but the deal was done. Hibiki stared at you, his gaze unfocused. "Oh," he whispered, releasing your wrist, "you... Hate me that much?"

"You killed someone." You scrunched your nose.

You wished the next few seconds had never happened.

He lunged, his hands around your throat, and the two of you hit the floor. And he laughed, he laughed. "F-Fuck it! Then let's be dead, my love! Let's die!"