Kaja | 39 . power

The two of you walked in the darkness of the night. The moon was entirely hidden away, clouds drifting through the sky.

And for another time just that day, someone appeared before you. But this time, it felt different. Kaja stopped before them, staring them down. "That uniform..." She mumbled, narrowing her eyes. "(Y/n), you stay back."

You nodded. It was always better to stay out of Kaja's way, you'd found. "Don't get hurt," you pleaded hopelessly.

Kaja scoffed, and smiled softly at you. "Worry about yourself, kay?"

She never said 'I won't', but you always requested the same thing. Because she always did. Maybe to the common onlooker it wasn't clear, but you could see bright as day how her stamina was depleted. And it'd only been a day.

A part of you wondered just why some failing organization would waste the resources coming after you two like this.

Kaja made sure you'd gotten yourself hidden away before she lit the flames back in her palms. And it burned. She hadn't exerted herself this much in years. The fire was piercing her sensitive skin. But she had the power to protect you, and she'd do anything to ensure your safety.

"You." She muttered. "You're high ranking. That uniform proves it."

The woman smiled, her eyes sharp. "Yes. Not used to seeing this uniform?"

"Nah. But it doesn't matter. I'll get rid of you anyways." Kaja stated.

"Oh, you're certain?" She giggled. "Cute. Is it because you're protecting that girl?"

"Don't talk about her."

"You know, those who are protecting others always fight the hardest. They push themselves beyond their limits... It's how we train higher ranking people." She pointed a finger up and nodded.

"Fuck off!" Kaja hissed, and in a moments notice she was lunging at the woman with pale blue hair.

"I'm not done talking." The woman snapped, and in an instant Kaja was being choked out by that same hair. The woman's gaze went cold and she frowned deeply, her hair having expanded and moved to restrain Kaja.

Kaja's burning palms wrapped around it, and through gasping breaths fire raged from her throat.

The hair burned, and Kaja dropped. She coughed and wheezed, putting an extinguished hand to her throat.

The woman slapped at her hair, putting out the fire with a soft hum. "Fire mage... God. I hate fire mages. You lot always burn my hair."

You almost couldn't watch, but at the same time you couldn't look away. That woman's hair grew and threw itself at Kaja without remorse, and Kaja burnt it and fought it off. But it wasn't enough, why wasn't it enough?

Her onslaughts were too much for Kaja to handle by herself. There was too much going on, and she was just one person.

The fire left you in a trance. It was almost beautiful. It may have been if it wasn't so terrifying watching Kaja.

And then she was grabbed by her throat again, restrained and her palms refusing to light. You watched as she choked on air, and you couldn't bare it for a moment more.

You weren't even thinking when you moved. Not as you picked up a rock and threw it at the woman, nor as you threw yourself at Kaja and knocked her to the ground with you.

You weren't thinking at all.