Kaja | 36 . precious

You couldn't believe it. How could something like that even be possible? You didn't entirely understand how magic worked here, but something like that... "That's... Sickening..."

Kaja took the books you'd gotten out and stacked them on top of each other, shrugging. "Now you get it."

"But... Why? Why would they do that?"

She considered it for a few moments. "... Someone who knew a Magi once told me it was instinct for them."

"Nobody has instincts like that."

Kaja peered at you curiously. "Everybody does."

You shook your head. "I wouldn't do something so terrible. Never."

"You never know what you'll truly do." Kaja commented, walking off with the books.

And you sat there, considering her words solemnly. This place was so incredibly different from yours. On the surface level, it looked the same. But the way it functioned was so beyond your wildest imagination.

You wondered just how many you's had lived in universes beyond your wildest imagination. What were those worlds like?

Kaja returned to your side, and the two of you set off to the motel room. She made sure to keep you close, her hand clasped around yours. "... Knowledge doesn't equate to power, you know."

"Huh?" You blinked in surprise.

"You said you're nothing if you don't have knowledge." Kaja sighed, a soft frown tugging at her lips. "That's not true. You've never been nothing... You're so precious it hurts."

"Kaja..."

"Don't." Kaja scrunched her nose. "I know— shit— sorry..." She groaned. "I know you rejected me— I'm not trying to, you know, make you uncomfortable or nothin'..."

"No, no." You shook your head quickly, intertwining your fingers. "What you said just now... It was sweet."

"It was what?" She looked at you, eyes widened in surprise. And you smiled, and she felt her chest tighten.

"Sweet..." You repeated. "I didn't know I needed to hear something like that. But thank you, Kaja. You always say just what I need to hear."

Kaja sighed, using her free hand to rub the back of her neck. "It's nothin'..."

"It's not nothing." You shook your head. "You've never been nothing to me either." For a moment, you paused, contemplating your next words. "You've truly been a rock for me."

It was sudden, and it made Kaja's head spin, but you hugged her. And she hugged you back, resting her head on yours and taking a shaky deep breath. "Your such a handful." She commented. And you laughed, and she felt her cheeks warm.

Yeah, you truly were so precious. She'd make sure no harm ever came to you. Not ever.

Kaja would rather die.