Hibiki | 9 . talk

The next morning, you woke up alone to the sound of chirping birds and the smell of breakfast. Sucking in a big deep breath, you sat up and looked around. The room looked considerably better. Hibiki had clearly been up cleaning.

You guessed that hadn't changed. He was like his mother in that way, he always cleaned when he was stressed. Right as you were about to get up and go look for the blond, the door opened.

Hibiki grinned at you and held a tray of food. "Good morning, sleepyhead. I've got breakfast." You moved so that he could sit next to you on the bed and he placed the tray over your lap. "Tell me if you want anything else."

The food was simple, and honestly you were craving something extravagant. But on the flip side, you didn't feel like losing your breakfast as you had dinner. "Thanks." You hummed to him, slowly beginning to eat.

Hibiki watched you for a few moments. He tilted his head when you took a deep breath and looked over at him. "Is something wrong?" Hibiki asked you with a soft look on his face.

You hesitated.

"... Yeah. Something's wrong."

His eyes widened a bit and he sat up straight, leaning in closer. "What's wrong? Is the food not good? I know I'm not the best cook, but—"

"It's not the food." You mumbled, looking down at it anyways. Hibiki's cooking was better than good. Which was just another thing that disturbed you. The Hibiki you knew couldn't even hold a knife without accidentally nicking himself. Much less make proper breakfast.

"Then... What?"

"... Everything." You clenched your jaw. Hibiki continued to stare you down, never blinking. "We need to talk."

"Need to talk?" Hibiki sucked in a deep breath. "About what?"

"It's all wrong, my love." You muttered. "None of what you're saying or doing makes sense. It's not you. Not how I remember you."

He didn't know what to even say. Which was okay, because you had a lot to get off your chest.

"Your cooking isn't bad. It's really good. Which just doesn't make sense because you're a mess in the kitchen. And that's just one aspect. You can see it too, I know you can. I don't know why you think I'm trying to ignore something, but— but I'm not. I'm not trying to ignore anything. I just want to know why everything's changed."

Hibiki wanted to hold you close, but the tray on your lap got in his way. You looked so destroyed. He always hated seeing you so upset. That hadn't changed. That never would. "What are you trying to say? I-I— if something's wrong then—then." The blond clutched his fists. "I'll support you. I promise I will..."

The two of you sat in silence for just a few minutes more.

"I hate this." Hibiki averted his gaze. "Talk to me. You said you wanted to talk. Please, talk..."

Honestly, you didn't know what to say anymore. Or rather, perhaps, there was too much to say. "... Where's my file?"