Story time ~ Hanako (fluff) *LGBTQ+*

Premise

° A retelling of the first time you met Hanako.

2197 words
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You slowly peek out from behind the timber bookshelf, brain buzzing like static on a television that has lost signal.
Despite the quietude of the school library and the peacefulness the after school solitude had offered, all you can hear was the sound of your heart beating rapidly against your chest once you catch sight of the boy with the choppy brown hair sitting at one of the rotund tables-hovering over Yashiro's shoulder as she read to him like a child.

He's mouthing the words
You took notice that the cute boy (whose name you had overheard was Hanako) finished reading to himself far before Yashiro was finished with the page. Your deduced that he was an impressively fast reader, but it's not like you always watched him or anything...or kept tabs on what he did in his free time with Yashiro...or maybe even memorized his schedule on what classes he liked to visit and what times he visited them...

Pfft, no-that's just creepy and you were not creepy.

"y/n, you're being creepy" A voice whispers behind you.

Cheeks flushing, you turn around to find Kou watching you in wry amusement, an eyebrow quirked.

"What? No I'm-I'm not" you deny heatedly with a stammer, though your voice goes strangely high and cracks more than you'd ever admit it did "I'm just-admiring. From afar. Like a lot of people do. It's normal"

Kou doesn't look convinced.

"Well, you've been 'admiring from afar' for the past half an hour. When are you going to talk to him like we've established yesterday? Or the day before or the day before that?"
Kou sighs as he looks over your shoulder, glancing at the Hanako, "He a real pain at times but he doesn't bite. And hey, for a ghost he's pretty alright lookin'. Not as cute as you though" he teases

You elbow Kou in the stomach, nose scrunching up in distaste at being called 'cute' by a doting friend who insists on babying you. While Kou breaks into a fit of cheeky and airy laughter, you return your attention back to Hanako.

You've been doing this for weeks... Watching Yashiro talk to the boy you had a crush on just because you've been to nervous too.

You weren't sure how your heart had been stolen by a person who doesn't even know that he had your heart in his pocket in the first place-let alone a beating one himself. Everyday you tried to talk to him and everyday nerves got the best of you.