Chapter 54

鬼

It was still night when he awoke. Sourly, he acknowledged the coldness that came with it. He jumped off the bed and slipped on his shoes, placing his cloak around his neck, hiding his mother's necklace. With that, he spared a glance toward the window and walked out quietly.

The hallways were as dark as every other part of the temple, but when he exited, the other side of the temple was lit up by the moonlight. It shone, large and bright.

A sudden throb in his chest made his breathing falter.

It reminded him of the time Zuko asked him to dance under the cover of the moon. It was the day after he had leaned it to kiss him, and the very same day he had cried on his back when they left with Song's ostrich horse.

Slowly walking to the edge, he lowered himself, careful not to get too close. Not tearing his eyes off the sky, he continued staring up at the moon.

He remembered it all too clearly. To the point, it was stuck on a loop and all it became was an annoying memory.

"Can't sleep?" A voice ran out behind him.

Turning around, Mio saw Sokka.

"Bad dream" He answered, looking away once more.

It took Sokka a few seconds to stand right beside him. "Same."

Caught off guard, Mio peered at him, "I'd expected you to say something else."

Sokka furrowed his brows. "I'm sorry, okay?"

Mio sighed, moving to the side so he could sit, yet, he said nothing. "I'm sorry too." Sokka slowly shook his head, a frown forming on the curves of his lips. "I shouldn't have lost faith in you. It's just... when Katara explained to me what had happened... it felt like you were playing with us. Pretending to be our friend. Our family. You chose Zuko without hesitation."

Mio pulled his knees to his stomach as he listened.

"But you're not a monster. Nor a killing machine. Sure, you may be an ass-kicking assassin, but that doesn't mean you've lost all your humanity."

"I was blinded by the possibility of changing things. For the better. I didn't want to leave Zuko because I thought that things had changed. I thought that he had changed. He clearly didn't and he saw me as nothing but a traitor. Despite everything I did for him. Despite leaving you guys behind and fighting you."

"All that ended up with him burning me."

Sokka's eyes widened. He turned to look at him with a confused expression. "What do you mean he burned you?" He took a seat next to him. Mio sighed quietly and gently pulled up his bandages, this time, he took them all off. Revealing the huge burn mark and his almost healed cuts.