Chapter 31

鬼

Shoko flung his arms forwards, forcing a violent slash of frozen water to collide against the ground, slightly cracking it. He slid his foot to the side so he could regain his fighting stance,  and sent a water whip to a tree. He jumped into the air while forming multiple water drops which he eventually froze into sharp icicles, letting them fall to the ground. 

Once he landed, he proudly watched over the scene. He took a seat on a square-shaped rock, inhaling deeply to calm himself down. He was exhausted. But training somehow managed to make him feel slightly better. 

His hand landed on his eyepatch to raise it up. It had been a very long time since he had taken off his eyepatch. He let the wind hit his aqua-blue eye before letting the black piece of cloth cover it once more. He chewed on his lower lip. A habit he had gotten used to since a kid whenever he was stressed. 

He was anxious about what Zuko would think of him if he were to ever find out. 

He would most likely be angry, considering his short temper. Because he had left his friend on the same day his mother left him as well. It left a deep scar on his heart, leading to him distrusting others quickly. 

But he always forgot that he wasn't the only one who was left hurting. 

Shoko was hurt as well. He had seen Mai comfort him and peck his face with kind warm kisses. One week before their little awkward moment under the tree, when Zuko leaned in to place a birthday kiss on his cheek. He was always there for the Prince, when he fell, when he cried, and when Azula would always make him angry. He was always there, not Mai. Yet he chose her. 

Shoko never felt any sort of rage toward Mai. Sure, as a kid, he felt like the girl was competition, but what would his young naive mind know about love and jealousy? The nobleman's daughter was kind if she really tried to be, she was unbelievably beautiful and perfect with her milky smooth skin and silky black hair. 

But he didn't need to be verbally reminded of how different they were. Of course, Zuko chose her.

She's a girl.

While he was a boy. Not only was Zuko's father an absolute asshole, but he was extremely against same-sex relationships. He made it clear to Zuko and Azula at a young age. This is the exact reason why Azula hadn't made any further steps to approach Rin in any other way than just friends.

An eye for an eye.

A heart for a heart.

Zuko broke his heart, so it would only be fair to break his as well. 

Despite all those years of being separated and living different lives, Shoko just couldn't rid himself of the feelings he felt for the Prince when he was only a kid.

But he didn't want to love anymore.

All it did was cause him more pain.

Shoko closed his eyes tightly. A thought popped into his mind. Zuko and himself appeared, the real him. They were walking across the damp sand of Ember Island. Zuko's hair looked different however, no, he looked different, all of him did. Shoko smiled warmly as he secretly watched the Prince.