Chapter 9

鬼

Everything had returned to normal after that, well, minus Zuko yelling at everyone once in a while. But at least there wasn't any tension between the two friends anymore. Shoko smiled at himself, the fabric of his new clothes was soft and less restricting than his parka. He especially loved the golden designs on the arms. 

And at some point, Zuko opened up to talk to him, which might've only been an excuse so he could examine Shoko more carefully, sure he was on a ship with him for more than five days, but he was pretty busy trying to catch up with the Avatar.

He watched discretely how the boy's long black hair was always tied into a ponytail, he wore a black eyepatch on his eye while the other could be easily mistaken for gold. He would sometimes take off his kimono to only leave his black tank top on with his baggy pants and belt.

But what Zuko found interesting was all the bandages wrapped around his shoulders and arms. Shoko's wounds should be recovering, he wondered why the boy decided to keep them on.

"It's just... I've been thinking of the past." He finally spoke after a while of silent thinking and observing

"So you also have things that hunt you?"

Zuko looked over at him with wide eyes, "How did you...?"

"I have a way, I've been through some pretty crazy shit. But I only know one/fourths of my memories, so I don't know much."

"That sucks."

"It's fine though, all that shit has made me strong," Shoko said and looked over to the bundle of white flowers placed inside a vase full of water. "You like white stars?"

"What?" Zuko turned to face him, "No, I don't. I only keep them because they were my best friend's favorite type. I gave him a white star and he gave me a red spider lily."

"Cute," Shoko said and smiled at the healthy flowers, "He must've meant a lot to you since you keep his favorite flowers well taken cared of."

Zuko looked away, "Yeah, he did before he left me."

Shoko understood all too well that he had touched an open cut. "Zuko... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you remember those terrible times. I just-"

Zuko interrupted him, "Don't worry about it, It doesn't matter anymore."

But Shoko knew he was lying. 

"Anyway, tell me more about your past, if you can remember any of it," Zuko said, resting his hands on his sides.

"Well, you asked for it" Shoko took a seat on the opposite side of Zuko and locked his eyes on his thighs, "I think I was born to a very wealthy family, it was a forced marriage, so you can assume my parents never felt real love for each other. My mom was kind, but my father was a perfectionist. He thrived for me to be perfect. I ended up joining the assassins and left the Fire Nation because I lost control and started to doubt myself, and for what reason? I don't remember. Some parts are blurred and some are just confusing, I'm just frustrated at myself for not remembering."