Chapter 42

鬼

"Why did you leave me?"

"You betrayed us."

"You let the world's last hope die."

"You're a terrible person, Zuko."

"I can't forgive you."

"Now, when you fall, your dear dad will be there to help. Or your darling Mai."

Zuko looked around cautiously, hearing a sudden and emotionless laugh.

"When you fall this time, Zuzu, there will be no one to help you."

"You're all on your own now."

Zuko turned to look in a different direction. 

His eyes widened. In front of him stood Mio. Only, he was younger, perhaps ten years old. 

"Why are you hurting me, Zuzu?" The young boy's lips formed a frown as tears slowly escaped the corner of his eyes. "Why did you leave me?"

"I wish I could live without you
 But you're a part of me
Wherever I go
You'll always be next to me..."

Zuko frowned. His head hurt. Somehow, he's heard those lyrics before. It sounded familiar, yet he couldn't put his finger on it. Suddenly, the young Mio disappeared to be replaced by a taller light blue-haired boy. His hands skillfully strummed the strings of the guitar, quietly singing those same words.

"Fall into the night
As I gaze into you
Shine so bright
It's all I do."

And before Zuko could make a movement, Mio rested the guitar on the ground and stood up, turning around to face the Prince. He walked toward Zuko, reaching for his face. Mio's fingertips were surprisingly cold against Zuko's touch.

Their lips were inches away until Mio shifted closer to his ear so he could whisper, "You betrayed me, ponytail Prince" His breath touched his neck, "You left me."

Mio then vanished into the darkness and a hole appeared underneath Zuko's feet. He grunted as he desperately flung his arms around to try and stop the fall. But as the darkness overtook him, he looked up, watching as Mio's golden amber and aqua blue eyes stared at him with anger.

"You left me."

❥・❥

He was wide-eyed and lying on his back, looking up at the ceiling. He turned his head to the side when he heard footsteps. Zuko entered the little prison room much to his surprise. 

The Prince thought that his eyes would've been full of rage and anger. But they weren't. They were blank and dull. They almost looked empty, like all the life they held was sucked out of them.