Chapter 24

鬼

"The view is amazing, don't you think so?"

"Yeah, Ember Island is better in spring."

Zuko and Mio were both sitting on the edge of a hill, watching the sea. The sun was already setting, and Mio's long brown hair seemed to be a mix of dark blue. They were both holding hands as Mio rested his head on Zuko's shoulder. They seemed to be older. As if a few years have passed.

White petals of flowers flew past them as the wind swayed them along. Zuko's free hand gently took hold of a petal that was stuck in Mio's hair. Mio shook his head and picked up a petal, placing it on Zuko's hair, "It looks prettier on you."

Zuko shook his head and the petal fell. Mio giggled as all the petals on the ground rose once the wind currents grew stronger. Zuko wrapped an arm around Mio's waist and pulled him closer, pecking a few kisses all around his cheeks and forehead, finishing it off with a warm kiss to the lips.

When they separated, Mio rested his head on the Prince's shoulder again, "I love you," He whispered.

Zuko smiled warmly "I love you too, Mio."

❥・❥

Zuko jerked forward, his whole head was sweating horribly. He hated those kinds of dreams. They affected him the most. Seeing what they could have been if he never left. He flinched when Shoko sat up as well, the only thing is, his hands were clenched tightly as he tried to regain his breath.

"Having a hard night?" Zuko asked. Shoko remained silent and looked down at his trembling hands. "Are you okay?"

He nodded. Shoko pressed his hand on his eyepatch and inhaled deeply. He then turned to face Zuko. "Can... can I sleep with you? I mean... just this night" He hesitated.

Zuko took notice of his shaking voice and nodded. Shoko immediately moved closer and rested his head on the Prince's chest.

❥・❥

"Mom? Mom!?"

Little Shoko desperately looked around his palace in search of his mother. He ran in every direction until a faint light caught his eye. He quietly walked closer and closer, taking a peek at the ajar door in front of him.

"He might be gifted, but that doesn't mean you can do such a cruel thing to him!" His mother screamed. "He can take it. He was only born to serve the Fire Nation and as an heir. You and I both know that he is useless otherwise! He'll burn the whole palace down if he wasn't under supervision!"

"And what if he can't control his flames?! That doesn't allow you to send him off to a boarding school! He has all his friends here!"

"Just watch me. I've met Mikoto. Your other son whom you've left in the dark so I wouldn't find out about him. You don't want to know what lengths I'd go..."