Chapter 43

鬼

Mio's execution was just around the corner. Mikoto had grown restless, checking up on Mio to see how his wounds were doing and reassuring him everything was going according to plan. 

Zuko came to visit him, again. He begged him to respond, but he never spoke a word. He looked up at the Prince with emotionless eyes. Zuko hoped today was the day he would finally say something back, but the boy only turned his back to him. After that gesture, Zuko stood up and began shouting at him angrily.

"Don't you have any feelings, Mio? Have you lost them? I'm here, begging you to talk to me. But all you do is ignore me! I thought you were my friend, I thought you cared about me, I thought... I thought that I loved you! But It seems like everything was nothing but a lie. You didn't care about me, I don't think you ever did," He stopped for a moment, thinking back to his time when Mio, or well, Shoko became his prisoner.

"I'm trying as hard as I can to forget you. But I can't shake all the love I felt for you as a kid."

"This changes nothing, though. I'm way happier with Mai than I ever was with you."

His heart ached.

"Somehow, every time, you manage to break me more than anyone else. Your wounds are the deepest, they hurt so bad. You caused this, and you won't be able to run away from all your problems like you always do" Zuko bit his lower lip, wondering if he should shout what was on his mind.

"I wish I never met you at all!" 

And just like that, he stood up, and created an arch of bright red flames, grazing Mio's arms from all his pent-up anger. His eyes widened in horror once realization hit him. He pulled his hood back up and rushed out, not knowing what else to do or say.

Mio pulled his knees to his stomach, wrapping his arms around his head to hide his silent sobs. Agni, it stung, it burned. It hurt.

 He knew Mikoto had walked in right after Zuko left, trying to comfort him and passing him some cream along with a few bandages to clean his would, but every word he spoke, was drowned out by Mio. He left the roll of bandages untouched, placing some cold cream on his burned arm to try and tone down his pained sobs. After that heartbreaking night, he made his decision. He was going to escape from this hell and join team Avatar.

After everything he did for Zuko, after he betrayed Katara, Sokka, and Aang just for the Prince, he stabbed him in the back, and now that led to his misery in the prison cells. He left him and broke his heart more than he already had. He wanted revenge. He wanted to see the Fire Lord fall from his throne, along with all the people who hurt him.

His father, Azula, and especially Zuko.

Since that very day, he spent the entire day planning out the escape with Mikoto. So tonight, they were both going to leave.