Chapter 11

鬼

The trip to Crescent Island, where Avatar Roku's temple was located, was uncomfortably quiet. Shoko never looked in the Prince's direction. He had messed up again, the friendship idea Iroh brought up a couple of days ago was once again wrecked. 

It had to be, Zuko was the bad guy that was constantly after Aang and threatened the safety of his family. While he was merely bait. He was lucky Iroh had spoken on his behalf, or else he would've been spending the rest of the nights in the cold prison cells like any other prisoner. Zuko shook his head a bit before taking hold of Shoko's arm and began heading to the Island. 

"What are we doing after this?" Shoko asked as they walked up the large steps of the temple. Zuko remained silent, when they walked in, they were greeted with Fire Nation symbols, and pictures of Fire lord Ozai hung on the walls. It seems to be more Ozai than Avatar Roku. 

"I'll regain my honor, my rightful place on my father's side" Zuko finally answered and walked up the huge set of stairs. "The Avatar dies and the Fire Nation wins" He finished, keeping his gaze forward. 

"Why? Won't the Avatar simply be reborn to the Southern or Northern Water Tribes? What do you gain by killing someone that'll be reborn every single time?"

Before Zuko could reply, Shoko interrupted him and continued, "And what'll happen to me? I'm not sure you noticed, but I don't appreciate being called a slave. I bend fire but I don't want to move back to the Fire Nation. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't want me back."

"Do you ever shut up?" Zuko's eyes widened when voices reached his ears, he pulled Shoko close before pinning him against a pillar. The Prince gestured for him to stay silent and quickly moved over to another so he could hide. 

Shoko peeked his head out to get a clearer picture. A group of men dressed in strange red cloaks with weird hats stood in front of a huge door. 

A cute small sneeze put them off into a panic. 

"He must've crawled through the pipes" The older man's voice sounded, "We've been tricked!" Shoko tried to keep his laughter in when a flying lemur threw itself onto the man's face. 

But his eyes widened when he saw Katara and Sokka both run over to the sages and pull their cloaks up to blind them. 

"Now's your chance Aang!" Katara shouted, "Aang? GO!"

No reply came until Zuko stepped to the side, holding Aang's hands behind his back. "He's coming with me," Zuko stated. 

The sages gained the upper hand, twisting the others around, capturing them with ease as Zuko led Aang down the stairs from where he entered. Shoko inhaled sharply, what was he supposed to do? The Prince can't take Aang, he's just a kid. 

"Close the doors! Hurry!" Zuko shouted sharply, forcing the Avatar down the stairs. 

Shoko watched as a wide grin grew on Aang's lips, the young boy twisted himself out of Zuko's grasp and kicked him down the stairs. Shoko and Aang gave each other a nod and ran toward Katara and Sokka, who were chained against a pillar.