Chapter 26

鬼

Iroh laid on a table, getting a relaxing massage to calm himself down. Zuko was sitting on the floor, his panama hat shading his eyes and covering his scar. While Shoko leaned his back against a wall, eyes shut tightly. 

"This is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?" Iroh faced his nephew, who was clearly unhappy. He made his way over and sat next to him, "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?"

"Three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all" Zuko raised his head. "I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

"I'm sure he doesn't. Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Iroh questioned. No reply came from the Prince as he stood up and walked away. Iroh grimaced soon after and looked at Shoko, "Uh, that came out wrong, didn't it?"

He nodded "Yeah, it did" And straightened his posture. "I'll go get him."

Shoko followed after, entering a small forest near the building. Zuko was there, just as he expected, sitting under a tree. He had taken off his hat and rested it on his lap. Shoko took a seat next to him, "Hey" He greeted. 

"Hey."

"I hate anniversaries too" Shoko then said, looking away. "It's been two years already."

Zuko faced him, "Yours is today as well?" His eyes widened slightly. 

Shoko nodded, "Yeah, the same as you. It still hurts, remembering."

"Don't you think it's time to tell me the whole story? You can't keep me from finding out" Zuko insisted. 

Shoko yawned. "Perhaps it is... there's no point in hiding it anymore" He closed his eyes and exhaled loudly. "I dropped out of school at a young age. I was living my plain old life. Until my father and mother took me to this random stranger one night. My dad wasn't really fond of me at all, I later found out he sent me off to an assassin academy. I was pretty much skilled with every weapon and in hand-to-hand combat since it was another one of those after-school activities my father forced me to join. Zhao recruited me and that's how I met Yuuji. That night, when I killed all those kids... I almost killed an admiral... I waterbended."

Zuko's eyes widened. "What?! You waterbended! How?"

"It's a family curse, from my mother's side. She has a long history line of waterbenders. I inherited her waterbending and the firebending from my dad." 

Shoko inhaled and cleared his throat before continuing, "My mother said it passes once every two generations. She was skipped and it landed on me. She said it was a curse, so she urged me not to waterbend because of what my father could do to me."