Chapter 40

鬼

They were both thrown into the underground prison. Shoko quickly jumped back to his feet, frowning when he saw Katara regaining her balance and glaring straight into his soul.

"Why?! Why did you leave us after everything we did for you?!" She screamed, opening her waterskin to realize it was empty. 

Shoko's eyes widened. His lips trembled as he stood silent, letting Katara lash out at him. She was angry. She had a reason to be angry. He had lied to her about being a nonbender and fought her during his time at the North Pole.  

"Were you even telling the truth when you told me the Fire Nation took your mom?! Or were you just pretending as well?!"

Shoko shook his head. "No!" He took a step closer, not at all intimidating the girl who stood her ground. "I've gone through shit! And I know that doesn't forgive all my past mistakes, but I would never lie about my mom! She was in danger, and I couldn't do anything about it because of my father!"

"We trusted you!"

Shoko looked at his feet. She was right. The village did everything for him while his wounds were healing. They had sheltered him and given him food... yet he had betrayed them and their trust.

Katara's trust. 

Sokka's trust. 

And Aang.

"You've got company" A Dai Li agent threw Zuko into the underground prison, rolling and soon landing in front of Katara.

Shoko quickly and hesitantly took a few steps backward. Crouching down and using his arms to cover his saddened expression.

"Zuko!" Katara's shocked tone changed into an angered one. "Why did they throw you in here? Oh, wait, let me guess. It's a trap. So that when Aang showed up to help me, you can finally have him in your little Fire Nation clutches!"

Zuko turned his head to look at her, he then looked to the ground.

"You're a terrible person! You know that? Always following us! Hunting the Avatar! Trying to capture the world's last hope for peace! But what do you care? You're the Fire Lord's son. Spreading war and violence and hatred is in your blood!" The young girl continued to scream.

"You don't know what you're talking about!" Zuko finally spoke.

"I don't? How dare you! You have no idea what this war has put me through!" Katara shouted as she took a seat. "Me personally! The Fire Nation took my mother away from me," At that instant, she allowed the tears to flow down her cheeks.

Zuko slowly turned once more to face her, "I'm sorry. That's something we have in common." Katara wiped the surprised look from her face and inhaled deeply.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you before" She apologized.

"It doesn't matter" Zuko brushed her off.

"It's just that for so long now, whenever I would imagine the face of the enemy, it was your face."