Chapter 4

鬼

It was all so confusing. 

There was a memory trying to surface, but each time it did, he approached it only for it to slip away further into the depths.

"Aren't you cold?" Iroh asked, offering him a thick red blanket.

Cold...? No, he wasn't cold, he was never cold. Maybe it was because his body heat was warmer than others, he didn't know.

"No" Shoko spoke, turning away from the offered cloth.

Iroh let out a sigh, or that might've just been the sound of the wind, it didn't sound too much different. "You're shaking, please, just... take it. We have a long journey ahead of us."

Was he shaking? His eyes shifted over to his clenched fist. Shaking... because of what? "It's not from the cold," He whispered, doubtful if the old man had heard his voice.

"Then, are you perhaps afraid?"

"Yes." He answered, lowering his head.

"Of what?" Iroh inquired.

Shoko pulled his knees closer to his chest, hiding his face with his arms. He pressed his lips shut to stop the shuddering and desperate breaths from escaping.

Iroh reached closer, a shiver ran up Shoko's spine when the man's hand secured gently around his arm. "You're a very strong boy. But I can't have you getting sick from the cold," He stood up and walked over to the door, "How about we get some hot tea to warm you up?"

Shoko stared at him blankly. No. He didn't feel like consuming anything. And even if he did, his wounds stung with every movement he made.

Iroh caught on, nodding slowly and sitting next to the young boy. Cautious to not startle him. "Your wounds will need to be checked and cleaned, just to make sure they're healing properly."

Shoko remained silent. What was he supposed to say? That he was thankful a Fire Nation general found him and gave him a new home? No, it wasn't home. Nothing will ever feel like home. Especially a prison cell.

"We can go for a walk if you'd like."

No response.

He slowly raised his head, letting a small bright flame escape from his index finger. He looked at it with saddened eyes before facing Iroh. "I despise myself. I've lost my memory yet the only things I can remember are all the men and women I've killed. With my fire. I... I lost control. It's something I'm ashamed of. Ashamed of what I've become... and now, I've forgotten not only my memories but my firebending skills."

Iroh gave a gentle look, "Your past does not define who you are. As long as you correct your mistakes."

"Not for me. There's no change when all people see is a monster."