Chapter 48

死

They were all trying to make Aang feel slightly better in their own different way, all except Mio. He didn't have the strength to make himself feel better, so why did they expect him to help along? He was sitting away from everyone, guitar in his hands.

He was doing his best not to collapse on the floor and burst out in angry tears. Every second, he was dying from rage, sadness, and fear. He was angry at Zuko and at himself. That same anger reflected his words, he was swearing too frequently, something that Katara didn't appreciate.

But frankly, Mio couldn't care less. He wanted to be left alone. So he could try and figure out why he was feeling the way he is. Was it the pressure of defeating his Father? Maybe. Or was it fear of hurting Zuko?

Aang defiantly wasn't the only one who was anxious about the incoming invasion. Mio was too. Yet no one noticed. Maybe it was for the best. He didn't want anyone, especially Sokka, to worry about him. He worked best by himself, Sokka never understood that. He was also scared about seeing Zuko again. He knew that the stubborn Prince would stand by his Father until the end. And when that time comes, he'd have to fight alongside Aang and the others.

He left them once, and he wasn't going to do that again. Not when they've just accepted him back.

He had to fight him. He wanted to make the Prince feel all the pain he caused him back when he was imprisoned.

But the thing is... he knew he would hesitate. He'd fight Azula without a second to think it through, but hurting Zuko was different.

He massaged his temples. Headaches often over took his strength and forced him to sleep so it could eventually wear off.

The thing is, there was nothing happy he was looking forward to if they were to defeat the Fire Nation and end this brutal war. Sure, he would be reunited with Mikoto and Rin, but he was expecting a more... bright future, where he would go out on endless adventures and forget Zuko. Along with his past.

The dreams that came to him were frequently scary ones, where Zuko would keep repeating harsh words and lower his self-esteem. But others, which weren't often, would consist of Zuko and him staring off at the sunset, accompanied by a small peck on the lips or a small compliment that made his smile.

No one knew he avoided sleeping and mostly rested for a few hours before he cried himself back to a forced sleep. And no one needed to know. He hated others pitying him. And plus, their ways of fixing things were something that didn't interest Mio.

He kept telling himself that everything was going to be fine. That he's eventually going to forget Zuko and move on. It was wistful thinking.

He knew he was trying to fool himself. One certain dream - was of him and Zuko sharing a passionate kiss and laughing afterward, cuddling and eating chocolate strawberries together.