Chapter 46

鬼

But before anyone could get a glance at what was stored inside, a new voice from behind interrupted.

"I'll tell you what's in the box."

Sokka, Katara, and Aang all yell out in fear, straightening their backs as they turn to face Hama, who was standing at the attic door. Sokka hid the chest behind his back, acting as if they weren't snooping around her inn. At the sight of the elderly woman, the group all look to the floor with guilty expressions as Sokka hands her the chest.

Hama opens the chest and reaches inside. The kids watch closely in anticipation. The tension in the room seemed to lift when the object inside the chest was revealed to be nothing more than a simple blue comb that was made out of a whalebone.

"An old comb?" Sokka asked her in disbelief.

"It's my greatest treasure" Hama begins to explain with a small smile. "It's the last thing I owned from growing up in the Southern Water Tribe." And with those last words which spilled out of her mouth, Sokka, Katara, and Mio both gap at her in complete shock.

"You're from the Southern Water Tribe?" Mio asks quietly. Hama nods in reply, "Just like you three."

"How did you know?" Katara raised a brow. She never recalled Mio sharing his Mother's backstory with the elderly woman. He said she moved to the North Pole but originated from the South. He never said anything to anyone else other than them.

"I heard you talking around your campfire."

"But why didn't you tell us?" Sokka asked.

"I wanted to surprise you. I bought all this food today so I could fix you a big, Water Tribe dinner" Hama smiles, "Of course, I can't get all the ingredients I need here, but ocean kumquats are a lot like sea prunes, if you strew them long enough."

Mio frowned with a disgusted expression plastered on his face, remembering the taste against his tongue from so long ago. He glanced at Aang, who grimaced, clearly sickened as well, "Great."

"I knew I felt a bond with you right away," Katara smiled in Hama's direction.

"And I knew you were keeping a secret, so I guess we're both right" Sokka grinned widely. Katara landed closer to punch him on the arm, causing him to wince. "But I'm sorry we were sneaking around" He apologized.

"Apology accepted. Now let's get cooking" Hama declares, gesturing for the group to follow her back downstairs and into the kitchen.

A couple of hours later, the food was steaming and served on the table. The group of kids and Hama all sat around the table, ready to dig in. "I'd steer clear of that 'sea prunes'" Aang whispered to Toph who sat in between him and Mio. "I thought they were ocean kumquats," Toph says.