Chapter 18

鬼

An hour passed after they left the docks and rain had already begun pouring. Shoko covered his drenched eyepatch with his hand as Katara maneuvered Appa around,  who grunted in discomfort as the rain worsened his eyesight. 

"Do you see anything?" Shoko asked as he heard thunder booming loudly from somewhere behind them. Before Katara could respond with a no, she turned her head to see a figure dressed in orange and yellow. "Yeah! I do!" She shouted and turned the reigns toward the direction of the person. 

When they landed, Shoko hurried off, almost tripping on the slippery ground, he entered the cave with Katara behind him. Shoko slightly shook off the water and twisted his braided hair to squeeze all the water it held. 

"I'm sorry for running away" Aang apologized, yet he stayed put in his kneeling position. "It's okay. That fisherman was way out of line" Katara responded softly. 

"Actually, he wasn't."

"What do you mean?" Shoko asked, taking a step closer toward Aang, who looked at him before averting his gaze back to the floor. "I don't want to talk about it." Shoko nodded and crouched down a bit, "It has something to do with your nightmares, huh?" Aang only replied with silence. Shoko sighed quietly and rested his hand on top of his head with a kind smile, "Talk to me, buddy."

"Well, it's kind of a long story," Aang said, flinching when Momo and Appa made their way into the cave. The big fluffy bison lightly pressed his nose against Aang's temple and groaned in an attempt to comfort his companion. Katara smiled and stood up, "I'm gonna try and get a little fire going" She announced and started walking farther into the cave as Aang rubbed under Appa's chin. Shoko moved back to give Appa more space so he could curl up against the wall.

Once the fire started and began burning the wood, the three moved around it. Momo snuggled into Aang's lap. 

"I'll never forget the day the monks told me I was the Avatar" Aang started, keeping his gaze down to the dirt ground as if he were slowly remembering every piece of his happy and short childhood. Remembering your past was hard, and even more painful if you don't come to terms with it. 

Shoko noticed how uneasy Aang looked, he moved closer and gently squeezed his shoulder, "Take your time, we'll always be here."

❥・❥

"I'm sick of taking his orders, and I'm tired of chasing his Avatar." Lieutenant Jee complained to the other crew members surrounding him. "I mean, who does Zuko think he is?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"General Iroh, we were just-" Jee's tone changed into a shocked and respectful one as he stood up from his seat to bow. "It's okay" Iroh brushed it off, walking down the stairs, careful to not miss a step, "May I join you?"