Chapter 37

鬼

Shoko and Zuko both walked forward with trays of teapots and cups, heading toward their customers. 

Shoko held onto the tray with one hand and used the other to place the empty cup in front of the man. He poured the desired tea into his cup and placed it back onto the tray, looking up at the young man, "Enjoy your tea-" And before he could leave, the young man, who seemed to be around his age, gently grabbed ahold of Shoko's wrist, sending him a soft smile to reassure him.

"Are you perhaps Shoko? Mikoto's half-brother?"

His eyes widened slightly before narrowing on the man to observe him carefully. 

He leaned closer to whisper in his ear, "Who are you and what do you want?"

The other boy simply chuckled and let his grip on Shoko's wrist lose. 

"My name is Iwa. And I'm a friend of Rui. Know someone named like that?" 

A friend of hers...

Shoko slowly nodded. 

"So, do you need anything else or...?"

Iwa pressed his lips together as if he was thinking. "Not really. Here goes nothing-" Shoko stared at him confusedly.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?"

Sure, Shoko couldn't help but admit Iwa was hot. He was tall, lean, and a bit muscular on the shoulders. He seemed like he was educated and very polite. 

But he sure was taken aback by the request. He expected everything else but that. Shoko cleared his throat, "All the dates I've gone on before were on a ship. I don't think I'd be good at it..."

"Is this your kind way of rejecting me?"

"Not really. I'm just warning you."

"So that's a yes?"

Shoko's mind wandered back to Zuko. They decided to stay as friends. So why does it still feel wrong?

"Shishu?"

"Huh... oh, I'm sorry, what?"

"Is tonight good for you?"

He bit his bottom lip, "Yeah."

"Great. I'll meet you here at sundown."

Iwa then took a sip of his tea and stood back up to walk out of the tea shop. Shoko sighed and took the cup, making his way over to Iroh, who was watching him intensely from the counter. 

"He seems to come here often."

"He does?" Shoko raised a brow. He hadn't really noticed him. But then again, he doesn't remember any of the customers the next day. 

"Well... he asked me out on a date."

"Oh, I hope you said yes" The retired general grinned widely.

Shoko slowly nodded as he picked up a cup full of water and drank it quickly.