Chapter 16

鬼

Sokka and Shoko started to roll up their sleeping bags and any other loose belongings that were theirs.

"There wasn't a knife, right?" Shoko asked in a hushed tone while he pushed his dagger inside his pack. Sokka nodded, "There was no knife. We're right on this one Shoko, I've never been so sure in my entire life."

"We can't leave now when the Fire Nation plans on burning down a forest!" Katara exclaimed the moment she stepped inside the hut.

Sokka stood up and rested his hands on his hips, "I'm sorry Katara. Jet's very smooth but we can't trust him."

"You know what I think?! You're jealous that he's a better warrior and a better leader!"

Shoko groaned, "Agni Katara! Could you be any more stupid!? Jet isn't who he painted himself to be! You just met him, and you'd rather believe in what he has to say than your own blood!? And what's with telling random people my life story!? He said I was separated from my mom!"

"Were you not? That's what you told me." Her eyes narrowed as she crossed her arms.

"That doesn't give you the right to tell everyone my business!"

Katara's eyes sharpened, glaring deeply at the other, "Why are you so... so..." She stammered, trying to find the right words to describe her friend.

"So what? Spit it out" Shoko glared back.

"So touchy? Since you came back to us from Zuko, you've become bolder and really..." At that moment, Aang walked in between them with wide eyes, but he decided to stay silent, as there was nothing he could do to stop their fight. He hadn't known Shoko that long, but in the stories Katara and Sokka told him, they made him seem like Shoko was a kicked puppy who couldn't get back up without help. "Really outspoken" Katara finished with annoyance laced in her words.

Shoko stared back at her. Outspoken?

He was outspoken? And so what if he was? He obviously felt a lot more comfortable actually being himself than some meek and shy kid. "What's wrong with the way I act? No one seems to mind it. Sokka might even like it and Aang hasn't said anything. There's nothing wrong with being myself, and if you don't like how I'm acting, then you're going to have to put up with it. I'm figuring out who I am, and you can't stop me. I'm not naive like you."

Katara took a deep breath and shook her head in disappointment, "Whatever, come on Aang" She turned on her heels as Aang shot him a weak smile "Sorry Shoko. Sorry, Sokka."

"Yeah. Me too." Shoko sighed. He stood tall and proud. Was the fire changing him? Was he going to change as his mother urged him not to? He looked at his fire-lit finger with a sour expression.

"You okay?" Sokka asked and walked over to him, slightly startling Shoko out of his world. "We're stuck here for another night, Katara and Aang were charmed to help him with something stupid" He huffed and looked over his shoulder to the bright flame, "I thought you hated fire."