Chapter 52

鬼

Night had long since fallen and Toph was nowhere to be found.

Mio shouldn't have let her go that easily. Sure, she could take care of herself, but she was still a child. Even if she could beat ass in mere seconds, still a child nonetheless. So, that's how he found himself trekking down the dark halls of the temple, and toward the seemingly even darker forest Zuko resided in.

❥・❥

Perhaps he should've alerted Aang and the others, but that would reveal the fact he knew Toph went to see Zuko and did nothing to stop her. He wasn't in the mood to argue about such small issues. Toph was a strong girl.

Sighing to himself, Mio continued on his way, dodging low-hanging branches and avoiding thick shrubs left and right.

The voices in the back of his head were quickly drowned out by the sound of cracking rocks. Almost instantly, he knew Toph was near. Picking up his pace, he began running in the direction the sound came from. Not long after, he stumbled across a worried-looking Toph.

"Toph!" He called out.

She came to a sudden stop, turning in his direction. "Mio!" Within a moment or two, she had her arms wrapped around his waist, face buried in his stomach.

Caught off guard, he froze. "What happened, where's Zuko?"

"Somewhere behind me... he's not following me" She clarified, staggering backwards, a light hiss leaving her lips.

"What happened?" He asked once more, furrowing his eyebrows as he examined over her, although he couldn't see much considering the pitch-dark sky. "Are you hurt?" And then - "Did he hurt you?"

Furiously, Toph began shaking her head. "No! I mean, yes! But no! It was... an accident."

An accident...? How and why the fuck did he accidentally hurt her?!

"Can you get back to the temple on your own?" He asked, even though he didn't really want to let her do that.

She nodded.

❥・❥

After a few minutes of going in a straight line, Mio saw the light of Zuko's camp. A warm light emitted from the campfire, casting an orange glow over everything in its vicinity.

Including Zuko himself.

As if sensing him, the boy raised his head and looked up at Mio, eyes widening with slight excitement. But it was short-lived. "I didn't... mean to" Zuko began, eyes darting to the side.

How convincing.

Then Zuko stood up, lightly raising his arms, gesturing around himself, "She showed up out of nowhere and I was asleep and she startled me, and I... burned her and-"

𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍 ⎯  𝐙𝐮𝐤𝐨On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara