Chapter 8

Imagine the person in the media more Shoko-ish, with his eyepatch and bright amber eye

Zuko angrily slashed an arch of flames, startling the soldiers as they fell to the ground. The Prince watched as they stood back up, this time, looking more prepared for what was to come.

"I'm going to clean up, don't bother me."

The men all nod and continue with their duties. Prince Zuko stormed into the bathhouse, he was really sweaty. After all, he had woken up quite early to start his training. He was bothered, although everyone could easily tell with a single glance. 

Just as the Prince requested of him, Shoko complied. He avoided eyesight with him and tried his best to keep his mouth shut whenever they were in the same room. He wasn't afraid to stand up to the hotheaded jerk, but his mind couldn't help but wander back to the things Zuko yelled at him. He acted like he wasn't affected, but deep down, those words stung and brought back memories, unpleasant ones.

Every time Zuko faced Shoko, guilt spread throughout his body. He reminded him of the servants under Azula's control back when they were kids. They never talked to her unless she permitted, they kept their heads low and hands folded in front of them. The perfect servant, Azula would say to him. 

Zuko always ended up trying to mimic his father's intimidating tone with his servants, but he never succeeded or even came close. But at times, he was polite, kind, and laid back with them. He was the exact opposite of his father and Azula, he was just like his mother, in so many ways. She was also polite and treated them as if they were her equals, despite being wed to a horrible person like Ozai, who was cruel and harsh with them if they were to slip up even the slightest. 

Zuko would never admit it, but he felt sick to the core whenever he tried to act like Azula. Iroh could tell, he always noticed the change of expression and voice tone every time Zuko looked at Shoko.

No one mentioned what had happened back on Kyoshi Island. Everything was too tense on the ship, it was unbearable for Zuko, Iroh, and most of the staff. 

Zuko loosened his muscles the moment his body hit the warm water, he closed his eyes to try and relax, but when he reopened them, he saw his face.

No... not again...

He had been haunting him ever since the day he disappeared. He had nightmares for months, and when he thought they finally vanished, when he thought he was gone forever, everything came back like a tidal wave. Memories of the past washed harshly over him, drowning him in guilt.