Chapter 27

鬼

"I didn't find anything to eat! I can't live like this! I wasn't meant to be a fugitive. This is impossible!" Zuko shouted, looking over to Iroh. "Uncle, what are you doing?"

"You're looking at the rare white dragon bush. Its leaves make a tea so delicious, it's heartbreaking. That, or it's the white jade which is poisonous" Iroh informed.

"We need food, not tea. I'm going fishing" Zuko announced as he began walking away, faintly hearing Iroh continue his rambling.

"Hmm... delectable tea?" He inquired, already dreaming of the amazing taste against his tongue. "Or deadly poison?" He added afterward.

Zuko heaved a sigh and walked closer to the river, but before he could crouch down, his ears picked up the sound of a tree falling and someone shouting "Heads!"

He raised an eyebrow and made his way into the woodland, to the source of the noise. 

It was Shoko, and he was practicing his waterbending. After all, he had shared his little curse with Iroh as well, giving him full freedom to do whatever he pleased with his bending. He swayed his arms upwards, the water from the river quickly following after and forming a huge icicle. He slashed the trees in front of him with the sharpness of the ice, cutting them to the trunk and forcing them to the ground.

He smiled triumphantly and looked over to Zuko.

"Hey," He greeted, "What are you doing here?"

"I was going fishing but I heard trees falling so I came to check up on you."

"Oh, well I'm fine, you don't need to check up on me, I can handle my own."

"Don't doubt that. So your way of training is making trees regret the day they were grown?"

"Yeah, kinda."

There was a short silence, they faced each other until Shoko broke out into a quiet laughter. Zuko rolled his eyes playfully, "You're good at this, waterbending, I mean."

"Thanks" Shoko wiped the sweat from his forehead. "Actually, I was planning on practicing with my eyes closed, but I'm afraid when I open them, you and Uncle Iroh will both be crushed by flying trees. There are too many obstacles here." His eyes lit up as a sudden thought crossed his mind, "Could I help you fish? Might be easier with a waterbender."

Zuko nodded slowly, "Sure. Just don't blast any more trees."

They both walked back to the riverbank and took a seat next to each other. Shoko relaxed while Zuko hopelessly tried to catch a fish. A few moments later, Shoko lied on his stomach and looked down at the water. "What are you doing?" Zuko asked. 

"Hush" Shoko sprawled his hands out to place them inside the cold river. He closed his eyes and waited patiently, until he suddenly froze a small circle of water and waterbended it out, landing softly in between Zuko and himself.