Chapter 21 I am Nikana Jessop Brecket

Nikki was standing in line at one of the face painting booths so that Debby could rebark her tree.  She felt a longing well up as she watched the Brecket males, Carman, Gorel, and Lans, sons-in-law Soren and Ricand and grandsons seven year-old Jofen (twin to Taetesha), five year-old Telomm, and three year-old Romm kiss or hug their wives/mothers tenderly and head off for a "boys outing".  Although she thought it was sweet, it brought back all of her old feelings.  She had bitterly nicknamed herself "One Date Dorene", as that was the number of dates she had gone on, and that was girl's choice. 

After all the faces requesting paint were painted, the Brecket females plus one-year-old Ricand the Younger trekked to find the rides.  Nikki looked at the company, Taet, daughters Risal, Tyca, Miya and Nani, daughter-in–law Marli, and granddaughters seven year-old Taetesha, five year-old Ana, three year-old Felisa and six month-old Melle and found the longing increase.  Debby acted right at home with her new "cousins" and was fast friends with Taetesha.  I wish I could feel that way.  It must be Niel's arrest, but I don't think Risal, Tyca or Marli like me at all.  Even Miya and Nani seem distant.  Only Taet seems the same.  Well, I have a job to do.    They had walked two booths to the first isle when they were met by some Brecket family friends.

A plump older Felene greeted Taet with a hug.  The female had a sharply hooked nose and a glossy black mane.  Nikki wondered if she had some Pájas ancestry.  Her greeting was friendly but she looked worried.  Her companion, a mature female Felene, also looked upset.

"Taet, just the person I wanted to see," she said warmly.  "You know Elsiby."

"Yes, you introduced us at the Hospital Auxiliary meeting."  Taet started to extend her hand but was cut off by her friend.

"Taet, we have a concern.  We are divided as to the validity of the, for lack of better word, performance, during the opening ceremonies.  Elsiby insists it was a play.  I say those were real guards and it is just the thing that your Niel would get himself into.  Who is correct and what was that about Danniell?"

"You are Donnae," Taet's voice became low and serious.  "It was not a play.  I have told you Niel was adopted.  What I have not told anyone is that his birth parents were Romm and Korene Brecket.  They are the same Romm and Korene who led a large portion of the Freedom Alliance during the destruction caused by Mordok."

"Impossible," Elsiby interrupted.  "That was 100 years ago.  The young male I saw has no more than 20."

Nikki touched Taet's sleeve.  Taet stepped back to let Nikki take over.  "Nineteen to be exact.  I am Nikana Brecket.  Niel and I are twins, egg-sibs I believe it is called.  We were placed in stasis capsules for 81 years, raised separately for protection and brought back together now to find and free the Páji and bring about a peaceful downfall of the Empire."

Nikki was momentarily shaken by Elsiby's reaction.  "How absurd," she spouted.  "I took Srn. Brecket for an intelligent person.  It appears you are nothing but crazed religious fanatics.  It was that ilk who brought on the destruction in the first place.  They were leading our nations to financial ruin.  If our glorious Emperors had not taken the Eye of Angels from those filthy birds, (this was spat out with all the venom she could muster) who knows how much destruction there would have been.  It is bad enough for you to infect your own family with your lies, but to pull one who is obviously neither Felene nor Páji into your charade is criminal."