Chapter 3 Birdie Boy

Streaks of light filled the Environmental Controls Office External View Monitor as StarChaser Cruise Lines flagship Banta entered hyperspace.  Junior Engineer Niel Brecket held his eyes tightly closed, knowing it was a useless gesture.  The mask he put on just before the jump shut out all light whatsoever.  He grasped tightly to his chair arms and shoved his feet in the space under the console.  Both were also equally useless gestures.  As snugly as he was wrapped in the body harness he’d been given after his first jump two years ago, he would not only not feel the series of jolts upon entrance and exit of hyperspace, he would need his station partner’s help to unwrap.  He would also have to put up with the usual condescending comment made by Kei Duggins as the male loosened his harness.  But, that was better than two days of nausea and vomiting.  Most space travelers had very little reaction to jumping, slight nausea if anything, but most travelers weren’t half Páji.  It was said that the feathered people could fly through all sorts of wind turbulence without even ruffling a feather, but they couldn’t handle hyperspace.

“Come on little birdie boy, your flight is over,” Assistant Engineer Duggins taunted in a singsong voice as he unbuckled the six straps.  “I should leave you wrapped up some time and see how long it would take you to figure out we were out of hyperspace.”

“My hearing is intact, mister, and there is an announcement,” Niel replied curtly as he removed the harness.  “But if you really want to be on report, go ahead.”  He stood and added, “since you came back from vacation, you have been angrier than your usual rude self.  Are you ever going to get over the fact that I was promoted ahead of you?”

Duggins sat on his chair and spun to face the console.  “No” he said gruffly.  “I have ten years experience.  You do not even have one.  I cannot help it if my parents are hard working class Humans instead of fur-ball senators.  You should be the one worried about report.  That argument you had with our passengers yesterday will cost you.  What was it about?”  The exaggerated pose Duggins struck twisted his broad shoulders and square jaw into a caricature of handsome.  “Is our air not perfumed enough for their rich snob taste?” 

“Nothing,” Niel answered.  He felt the black streaked, rust brown hair on his back and neck bristle under his uniform and took a deep breath to keep from starting the fight he knew he would enjoy way too much.  Even though his partner was much larger, Niel’s compact Felis muscles and quick Pájas reflexes would have evened the match.  He shook his short mane in disgust and walked across the small office to the readout panels to make routine post jump checks.  He had just started when Chief Engineer DaLora stepped in.

“Brecket, report to the Captain,” he ordered.  “Duggins, you file the status reports.  Whitefield will be in to work with you.”

Niel ignored the smug look on Duggins’ face and strode into the hallway.  The captain’s office, in the upper fore section of the two level cruiser, was accessed through the main control room.  Navigator Jessa Crane, a svelte, light brown Felene, grabbed him as he entered the room. 

     “Just a heads up Niel,” she said quietly.  “All five of our passengers are in there.”  She jerked her head toward the office door.  “Everyone seems somber, good luck.”

“Thank you, Jessa,” he said, squeezed her arm warmly and continued.  He would have paused to collect his thoughts, but the door slid open.

Even though the small office normally had seating for three, six people packed it.  There was an empty chair directly in front of the Captain’s desk.  Niel ignored it and remained standing at stiff attention as the door shut behind him.  He stared straight at the captain, pointedly ignoring the Freedom Alliance representatives seated around the small desk.