Chapter 13 Welcome home?

"Now Debby, let's go over this one more time," Nikki said as they waited for docking clearance. "If anybody asks, your name is-"

"Aunt Nikki," Debby interrupted, "for the thousand and sixth time, no one is going to ask. Uncle Niel said we would go straight to his house, our papers are in order and it is night."

"All the same, I am Alisbet Corrnada, Commissioner Ley's niece from the planet Lantus and you are?"

"Okay, okay, I am your sister Mikkea."

"And why are you with me?"

Debby rolled her eyes and intoned, "we came for the Centennial Celebration, but our parents were unable to leave work. We came here on the Banta because Uncle Travat was on board. Now can I go to the big window and watch the ship dock?"

"Yeah, sure, I'm sorry sweetheart, I just don't want any trouble for us before we can get settled on this planet. It's imperative that we stay calm, remember our cover identities and only speak Maeta."

"As I am doing right now and you are not?" Debby asked as she opened the cabin door. "You are talking English and you are pacing again. It is good we are going. You have walked one bazillion telomets right there. If we stay any longer, you will walk a hole in the floor."

Nikki stopped her pacing and chuckled at the disgusted look on Debby's face. "One bazillion huh? I have to remember that is a real Maeta word."

"Exactly too," Debby said with a smirk.

Nikki laughed softly, "No way, that would be, let me see, a telomet is the same as a meter, or just over a yard, so that's over three thousand feet."

"Yes way, I measured the floor and figured it out."

"Really and when did you get so smart?"

"All the six months we have been on this ship. I am hot in this jacket. It is cold outside but hot in here. Shall we go?" She ran out into the hall before Nikki could answer.

Ever so slowly, Nikki walked into the narrow hall, took a huge breath and focused on the wider Commons area ahead. Footsteps sounded behind her and she jumped around. Liam stopped just short of her. He held out a hand to steady her.

"Forgive me if I startled you," he said with a small laugh. Then in his monotone server voice he continued, "I have come for your bags. We have docking clearance."

"Yes, they are in here," Nikki said and went back into the cabin, relived to have a reason to go back to more roomy surroundings. She pointed to the cardboard boxes between the two beds. As Liam loaded them on the small cart he had she talked. "I guess this is good-bye too. I was hoping I could talk to you before we left. I thanked everyone in general, but I want to thank you specifically."

Liam shrugged and waved his hand.

"No," she insisted. She focused on his deep blue eyes as she spoke. "I would have never made it through this flight if it had not been for you. The flight, crud, the whole thing. From the very start with that explosion you have been my calm place. I would have either choked from claustrophobia or strangled Niel if not for your influence, what you said, what you could have said but did not. Thank you. Thank you again for the help through the after effects of hyperspace. I know I already apologized for hitting you after you put the mask on me, but I am still sorry. Even though the swaddling suit was not that tight, I could not breathe. I had to get it off."

He laughed, "I have never seen anyone move as fast as you did. No one has ever ripped a suit either. As I said then, I would hate to be the enemy."