Chapter 4 I'm a What?

Two feet of new snow greeted the next day.  The snow plows were out in force and school was cancelled.  Nikki pulled on Howard’s irrigation boots and shoveled a path to the barn.  The snow had drifted in several places leaving only six or eight inches to remove.  This was a potato farm so the animal population was small: two milk cows, Nikki’s horse, Guide, a dozen laying hens, one nasty rooster, six cats and varying numbers of mice.  Oh yes, Gorgeous George and the occasional skunk.  One-half of the spacious barn was set up for the hoofed trio: three stalls, feed bins and a milking station.  The other had nesting boxes, more feed bins, tool storage containers and an area for the cats.

Nikki’s body was on Autopilot as she fed, milked and mucked.  Her mind was in Idaho Falls fearfully trudging through every nasty scenario an intensive care unit could produce.  Andrea and Debby came out to help take in the eggs and milk.

“Andi,” Nikki said as they walked back to the house with milk can and egg basket, “since we’re stuck until the plows pass, after I get the driveway plowed, will you please tell me about the ball?”

“Be glad to,” Andrea replied.  “By the time you and Guide are finished plowing, breakfast will be ready.  Don’t tell me you’re not hungry.  You need to eat something.”

“Yes mother.”

Nikki hooked up Guide to an old hand plow affixed with a snow removal blade.  Before long they cleared the driveway and part of the barnyard.  She let Guide have free reign to follow his well-known routine.  Her mind was already in the house examining the Eye of Angels. 

After breakfast Andrea had Debby set up the ball on the Kitchen table.  “First of all,” she instructed Nikki, “take a good look at it.  Is there anything about it that looks familiar to you?  If you need to turn it, go ahead.  It won’t hurt you.”

Nikki took several minutes to examine the Eye.  She gingerly rotated it by holding the base with thumb and one finger.  Then she lightly touched the ball.  At first, the smooth surface felt cool, but as her finger followed the curve a warm, tingle shot into it.  She pulled it away quickly. 

“What happened,” Andrea asked.

“She connected,” Debby declared.  “Did you see the light spot?”

“No,” Nikki furrowed her brow as she answered.  “I felt a tingle.  Andi, I know the symbols around the base.”  She pulled out her locket.  “I mean, I’ve seen them before.  I have no idea what they mean.  Look, right here, on this side.”

She held the locket’s back to the Eye’s base.  Debby scooted in close for a better look.

“Mama,” she asked, “how come Aunt Nikki has the profsy on her locket?”

Nikki stared first at Debby then Andrea.  She felt too confused to ask what prophesy.  Andrea spoke to her.

“The symbols are words in an old language of our people, our people Nikki, more yours than mine.  They are ‘Nikana te Danniell resletan cople sematar’.  Nikana and Danniell will rise again to save.  Those are the names of ancient twin prophets who created the Eye of Angels to stop a war and unify our planet.  They prophesied that one day if the people did not follow Heavenly Father they would be in bondage.  Then, another set of twins with the same names would be sent to bring peace again.  

“You can change yourself into animals be—.”

“How do you know that?” Nikki cut her off.  “I never told you that.  How do you know?”

“I know because we come from the same place.”

“That figures,” gushed Debby. 

Andrea ignored her and continued speaking.  “You are well known there.  You are the reason God led us here.  We, all three of us, come from a planet called Casároni.  There are two inhabitable planets in the solar system, Casároni and Praedor.  Living on them there are three distinct peoples, Humans, the Felene and the Páji.  My human ancestors came from Praedor.  Your ancestors have always lived on Casároni.  Pájas people are feathered, have the gift of tongues and can change shape.  Felis people are furred with great physical prowess.  Your birth father was Felene, your mother Páji.  You were sent here to save your life.”

Andrea paused.  Nikki stood and paced around the table.  She stopped long enough to say, “okay, that makes sense, in a very insane way.”

The telephone rang and since Nikki was the closest to the kitchen extension, she answered it.  Hearing Minnie’s voice was such a relief, she almost cried.  “Mom?  How are you?  I tried calling you last night after dinner, but then the telephone went all crazy from the storm and, and, I’m sorry.  I’m really sorry.  Is Daddy still unconscious?”

Minnie paused for an eternity of a few seconds.  Her kind voice was quiet and sad.  “I’m fine sweetheart.  The telephones were out for a while here too.  I’m able to come home as soon as you can come for me.  We’ll just have Andrea’s car for a while.  I’m afraid ours is not drivable.” 

Nikki felt cold nausea start in her stomach.  It engulfed her with the next sentence.  “Dad is not unconscious anymore; he passed away early this morning.”

The receiver slipped from Nikki’s now open hand.  She stared in front of her but saw nothing.  She barely heard Andrea talk to Minnie.

“Mom, it’s Andrea.  Dad’s dead isn’t he?”

Nikki shook her head and saw Andrea, who held the receiver and was softly crying. 

Debby grabbed Andrea’s shirt and insisted.  “Mama, let me talk to Grandma.  I want to talk to Grandma.  Grandpa isn’t dead.  He can’t be.”

Nikki knelt and hugged Debby tightly.  She whispered, “yes he can.”

Andrea hung up the receiver and choked out, “We can all talk to Grandma in a little while.  I thought I heard the plows go by.  Let’s get dressed to go.”

She knelt by the other two and the three held each other and rocked.