Chapter 10: Green hair and camping

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I'll give you one guess, and don't you dare laugh!", she points at me giving me a look on her face, I knew she wasn't joking.

"I promise.", I respond.

"I know Melissa did this and before you say anything, there is no one else who would do this and you know it. And I don't know if this crap is temporary or permanent. I have never dyed my hair and now I have to wait this out. Why can't she just leave me alone?"

"You don't..." she cuts me off, "like I said who else would have done it? I'm not sleeping in that cabin with them. I don't trust her. I knew something like this was going to happen. I told you. Either my mom lets me stay in your cabin or I'm going home. I'm not waiting around to see if that brat does something else." She finished blow drying her hair and pulled in up in a messy bun at the top of her head.

~~

"What the hell happened to your hair River?" River's mom screeches.

"Well, I'll tell you one thing it wasn't something I did. I don't know with one hundred percent certainty, but I can give you a suspect if you're looking for one." River looked in the direction of Melissa and her friend.

"And if you think for one second, I'm staying in that cabin with them you've lost your dang mind. Either you let me stay in Auggies cabin or I'm going home, and you can spend time with your precious niece alone."

"Did you see her do it?", her mom questions.

"No, but there is literally no one else who would do it, but I'm not even going to waste my breath, God forbid Melissa is held accountable for anything that she does. I'll just wait a couple of years for this green to wash out of my hair. And if you don't want me to stay with the boys then you better tell me now so I can head home because like I said, I'm not staying in the same cabin as that girl. She's liable to cut my hair or shave my eyebrows while I'm sleeping." River looks my way.

"Melissa!" River's mom yells for Melissa.

"Yes Aunt Ashley" Melissa replies sweetly.

"Mom what did I say?" River scowls at her mom.

River's mom proceeds, "Did you put something in River's shampoo to turn her hair green?"

Melissa looked between her aunt and River when the look of innocence, "No Aunt Ashley. Why would I do something like that?"

River scoffs, "Like she's going to tell you the truth. I'm done. I'm tired. Am I staying with the boys or am I going home?"

"River stop being difficult, just stay in the girls bunk."

"Mom, have you seen my hair, it's green, GREEN! Let's say Melissa didn't do it, whoever did it, they had access to my bags. I'm. Not. Staying. In. That. Cabin!", she's practically at this point.

"Okay you can stay with the boys, but straight to bed. We have an early morning."

~~

River stayed in my bunk last night. We were both tired, so sleep was all we did. After last night's debacle, River cried a little bit and I held her. River started to stir next to me. I heard our parents getting up and about. I know any minute they would be at the cabin door to make sure we were getting up. "Hey River, you ready to get up?" I nudge her a little. "Okay give me a few minutes." River wasn't a morning person. It took her a good thirty minutes to get up and going and acting civil. Anything before that you may or may not get bit before she calmed down.

We all meet at the campsite bus to transport everyone down to get our canoe's. River had confirmed with me that we would float together as soon as we found out we were going on a float trip. She made sure it was okay with Logan. He said he was fine floating with my sister or Brock as long as we didn't take off and leave him. We were going to do the long float and be back early afternoon. My mom pulls out a hat which looks like it has pieces of paper in it. I give River a questioning look and watched her look in my mom's direction. She starts over to my mom.