43

Vetri

My mother looks at me in absolute disbelief and unexpressed rage, whereas, Mayil's father seems beyond disappointed with similar anger evident on his countenance.

None spoke any words for a moment and Mayil's father suddenly left the place after throwing a sickening look at Mayil. "Appa!" Mayil runs behind him and gives me a helpless gaze before fading into the dark.

"What is this Vetri?" my mother asks in a disappointed voice. "I want to marry her mom," she perks up at me in complete outrage. "Marry her!? She is your student Vetri!" I nod slowly before blurting out, "She is, but she is an adult and I love her," the determination in my tone and attitude had my mother speechless as she sighs in distress and shakes her head.

Now that our relationship is revealed, I'm ready to take any risks.

"It's not in my hand...you should consult with your father first," she speaks worriedly while I think back to my father. He is a typical strict father but has always given me the freedom to go for anything I want in my life. Thus, I'm quite obvious that he wouldn't oppose my decision of marrying Mayil...

Therefore, the only problem now is Mayil's parents. By the way, her father had looked at her, I could perceive that he is against the idea of love.

I'm really concerned for Mayil. What If he beats her!? Will it be okay If I go for her rescue now?

Or should I give time for her father's anger to settle before I approach him?
That's the right thing to do. If I go now, it will only increase his resentment. Hence it is necessary for me to stay back for a while.

That night, my eyelids wouldn't close no matter how hard I try. In the end, I barely slept for three hours.

The next day, Mayil didn't attend the school. A million negative thoughts were emerging in my brain in her absence and the only way through which I could collect the incidents that had happened at Mayil's home is by meeting Jayanthi.

Once the school comes to an end, I summon Jayanthi to meet me in my office through one of the students. As expected, she comes in but with a rather dull exterior. "You called for me sir?" She stops in front of the desk and inquires flatly.

"Yes, take a seat," I usher and she obeys my words, though a little confused.

"What happened to Mayil? Why didn't she attend the school today? She is staying in your home...right?" She bobs her head negatively. "Sir, her parents brought her to their home at early dawn today. Her father said that she wouldn't come to school anymore and would be getting married soon to their neighbor's son who have came back to the village from the city on account of the temple festival," my fingers form a fist involuntarily as I listen to her words.

"Why?" I enquire further, feeling a peculiar pain in my chest.

"I don't know what happened to him suddenly. He has always wanted Mayil Akka to study well and acquire a job. And now that she has slightly improved in her studies, he decides to stop her from attending the school and wants to marry her off? I have no idea why he has taken such a resolution sir. He was alright till the last day evening...but when he came back with Mayil akka, he looked angry while akka continuously begged him to speak to her. Yet he didn't even spare her a glance. We all inquired him about his attitude but he was stubborn to even utter a word to anyone. However, in the early morning, before he left for his home with aunt and Mayil akka, he informed us about her marriage..." She peeks at me distinctly as she finishes.

The frown and the stress etched on my face would have given off everything in my heart transparently.
"Can you please talk to her father and convince him to send her to school again sir?" I nod at her request.

"Mayil akka respect you a lot sir," saying that, she stands up and exits the staff room while I just sit there, tensed.

I have to talk to her father as soon as possible. Jolting up from the seat, I hastily leave the school and dash my bike to my home.

"Mom, get ready, we have to go somewhere important," I urge my mother as I walk inside the home. "Where exactly?" comes her voice from the kitchen. "To Mayil's home Mom. Her father is planning to get her married! We have to talk to him before he takes another step!" I spill out, unnerved.

"Talk what Vetri? I won't come anywhere without your father's permission." I groan at her as she saunters out of the kitchen. "I spoke to your father the last night regarding this and he told me to wait until his arrival the next month. He asked me to advise you to not take any reckless decisions," she says sternly and I bit by bit, begin to lose my temper.

"Mom, what If she gets married before he comes here!?" I hiss, my mind in chaos. "Then you should let her be," she ends in a conclusive tone.

"I'm conversing with Father right away," I turn around and enter her room where the telephone is in. I contact him repeatedly for three times, but he doesn't pick up. As he is in a three-rank post, that is, Major General, he might be busy and I can comprehend the same. But still, I felt aggrieved.

In the rush of the moment, ignoring my mother's yelling, I exit my home and ride my bike to the street where Mayil's home is situated. I ask the people there about Mayil and somehow reach her home...

It's certainly a very little house with a damaged roof and walls. Hopping off my bike, I advance towards the porch when a middle-aged woman peers out at me, surprised.

"Who are you?" She asks as she strolls outside. "I'm Mayil's tuition teacher and one of her school teachers as well. I came here to meet her father, isn't he home?" I speak politely as I could, hiding away the yearning to look for Mayil inside.

"No, he isn't home. He comes back by 7 pm. Why do you need to meet him?" She lets out with questioning eyes.

"Just wanted to talk to him regarding her studies." She gazes at me, skeptically but doesn't say anything.

Dismayed, I was about to leave when Mayil stumbled out of her home and stands at the entrance. With her long hair freed, she appears beautiful even with the tear stains apparent on her face.

Her mother twirls around and enters the home, while I nod assuringly toward Mayil, impliedly telling her to stay strong. Her eyes scatter out more tears as she nods back at me.

Calming down myself, I send one last glance towards Mayil before driving off to my home.

After seeing her, it feels like my sanity has returned back to me.

____________________