38

Mayil

"Temple festival is coming soon akka!" Jayanthi says giddily as we both wander together toward our school. It's currently been a week since that day when Vetri sir had stroked my lips. It still tickles whenever I rewind that precise moment.

Also, from that day on, Vetri sir keeps a decent distance between us and doesn't look anywhere other than into my eyes. I don't know why but with each day, I could feel my love for him getting more and more insanely profound, which in turn petrifies me for reasons that I can't clearly pinpoint.

Perhaps, I don't want to...

Even the mere thought of straying away from him feels like a stab of a knife that pierces my heart which loves him dearly. Thus I deliberately never let myself entertain any negative notion. However, sometimes I can't help but get consternated by those dreadful speculations.

"Aren't you excited akka?" Jayanthi nudges my ribs with a huge grin on her countenance. "I'm!" I smile at her warmly.

"Do you know the exact day?" I ask her, shifting my entire interest to her.
"Hm...two weeks later akka," I nod, my brain forming the images of the annual temple festival that's celebrated quite grandly under the Village head's fund. It will be certainly fun with the various kinds of programs that would be transpiring. Not just that, but there will be a bunch of small shops established, which contain all varieties of items ranging from kitchen utensils to girl's beauty-enhancing items.

The least I would purchase is an Eyetex. The one that I bought the last year had been finished so it is my only target object this time.

"Walk fast akka, we might get late for the assembly at this rate," I bob my head anxiously and we both hurry our footsteps.

By the time we have attained the school, the assembly was taking place as usual with students lined orderly before the cement stage where our Indian flag has been heightened to the pole's top and is now fluttering with the wind's caresses.

At the moment, the pledge is going on and me and Jayanthi glance at each other worriedly. The students who are late for assembly are given stringent punishments. Even to the length of kneeling under the scorching sun until the end of the day or in some cases, they will be excused earlier.

While standing to the side and peeking at the assembly in fright, my eyes coincidentally fall on Vetri sir who is beside the correspondent, prevailing stiff and tough, with a cold attitude. It's hard not to stare at him now that I've gotten a glimpse of him.

"Akka!" I jerk slightly and look toward Jayanthi cautiously. "Who were you gawking at?" She seems nonplussed. "I...I was looking at the flag," I try to deceive her but the way she regards me with skepticism brings a ball of uneasiness to linger on my face.

"When has our Indian flag changed its color to light blue?" She squints her eyes and I embarrassedly look away. The shade she mentioned was Vetri sir's shirt color.

"You really are in love with him akka! Even If you don't realize it, I'm not changing my opinion. You will recognize it yourself, sooner or later," she utters determinedly and nods her head.

Meanwhile, I just stand there, feeling guilty for not feeding her the truth already. But then again, there's a valid 
ground for why I choose not to tell her the same!

"Jayanthi...that's not what we should be talking about right now. We are going to be punished in a few minutes!" I state, in an attempt to divert the conversation about Vetri sir.

She pouts sadly and just then, the assembly comes to an end. The students disperse and roam to their respective classes while we and other few students exist in our place with terrified expressions.

A while later, when the school becomes quiet as the first hour begins, Vetri sir along with the correspondent approaches us. The former pauses in front of us, and the latter just crosses with a sour look.

"What kind of business kept you so busy that you couldn't attend school at the time?" Vetri sir booms in his usual strict tone and we all bow our head. "Extend your hands. Next time If I see any of you being late, I won't be going easy," I sigh internally, relieved that we weren't given any severe penalty.

Subsequently, every one of us forwards our hands and accepts the skin simmering beat with gritted teeth. I wonder whether he feels bad every time he hits me?

"Get back to your classes," he dismisses everyone and doesn't even glance at me when he turns his back to us and strolls away.

"Such a __!" One of the guys who received a beat from Vetri sir curses a bit louder and I instinctively become furious at him. How dare he say such profanity to my future husband!!

And so, I very accidentally stomp over his feet, which drives him to hiss audibly in pain. "Ayo, sorry," I apologize dramatically with a fake culpable guise on my features.

The guy glares at me but doesn't do anything. Rather, he suddenly panics and rushes off along with the other few students. "Do you want another beat that encourages you to attend your classes?" I freeze for a second and slowly swirl myself toward him.

"Akka, bye," Jayanthi leaves after lending me a nervous smile.

"Sir...I was abo-ut to go.." I stutter, unable to withstand his unwavering gaze in my eyes.

"Then go.." And I vanish from there within seconds.

During the last week, we have got our exam sheets back except for mathematics. The mam is most likely to distribute the papers today! Although I'm delighted that I've passed for the other four exams with marks 49, 66, 51, and 60, I couldn't be entirely happy unless I pass in my mathematics exam as well.

In the third hour, our mathematics mam comes inside with the papers bundled in her hands. I gulp as she starts to allocate the papers while calling out the marks. "Mayil, 46!" Partially stunned, I saunter to the mam and she handles me the paper with a neutral look.

A smile continues to tickle my lips as I stare longingly at the pass marks. This is the first time that I've passed ever in my four years of 10th grade. I feel like I want to bawl my eyes out in glee!!

I'm so happy...unexplainably contented!

And I want to meet my Vetri sir desperately. Soon after the lunch break, the first class was English. With a wide grin, I greet him along with the other students. He greets us back energetically and signals us to sit down. He then commences to teach one of the lessons in our English textbook. I mesmerizingly stare at him, that I forgot that I should be listening to his teaching instead of drinking in his handsomeness.

"What did I just say, Mayil!?" I snap out of my daze and look towards Vetri sir whose eyes are boring deep into mine. He appears enraged.

I stand up on my foot, glancing at the curious eyes of my classmates. Oh god, he is going to beat me for my carelessness. I stay mute, afraid of his resentful gaze. "Stand there till the end of the class," he says in an authoritative voice and goes on with the lesson.

I often gawk up at him and whenever I do, my heart jumps excited beneath my chest.

How can he treat me so indifferently while being in love with me? Only Vetri sir could do it!

Just like that, our school time expires by and Jayanthi and me walk to our home.

As soon as we reach so, Jayanthi takes a long nap while I prepare myself to attend the tuition.

I wear one of Vetri sir's shirts, and a sandal skirt, then let my hair flow freely with a few hairpins holding onto my hair strands seized from behind my ear.

And with a small black bindi, I make my way toward the tuition. I'm so intrigued to inform Vetri Sir about the good news of me passing every examination!!

_______________________