26

Mayil

The next day, that is, Sunday, I don't attend the tuition. I mean, how can I face him again without being reminded of that moment when we were doing weird things...

The tingles that I felt then are still prevalent whenever I reminisce about his face being close to mine.

Now I'm sure that I love him! But it frightens me. He is my teacher and is from a rich background. He is also quite older than me which isn't really a problem considering the amount of age-gap marriages occurring in our Village.

Still, my parents would never accept this! Love before marriage is not appreciated in my family hence this won't work out. We would only be hurt in the end.

Therefore, it's only reasonable If we both stay within our limits and suppress our emotions.

But it hurts.

For the next whole week, neither I nor Vetri sir spoke to each other. I would still attend tuition but there were no staring or peeking glances like we used to do. There were no merrier moments. It was just me studying and Vetri sir asking questions at the end of the tuition time.

Even then, we don't stare into one another's eyes. Because we know, If we do, things that shouldn't take place would happen.

My days were sour. And I'm sure his were the same. Nowadays, I don't attend tuition at weekends, afraid that our privacy would lead to us doing something like the last time.

However, I guess I have to extend my tuition time due to the upcoming exams. We have exams throughout the next weekdays and then on the following week, there would be sports day...

Thus, from today onwards, I'm going to be in the tuition past the ending time 8 pm.

Presently, as I enter the tuition class, I see Vetri sir slanted back on the chair, staring dejectedly at the book laying on his desk. Walking up to him, I speak up, while looking at the book.

"Sir...exams are coming up the next week. So can you extend my tuition time past 8?" As he tilts his head to gaze at me, my eyes drop to his chest, refusing to hold eye contact.

"Upto 9? Is it fine?" He asks softly. "Okay sir," I hurriedly leave his side and settle on my usual corner seat.

I focus on my studies with great interest and I don't even register when the tuition time terminates. As every student gets out after Sir marks their attendance, I stare at him, only because his eyes are on the attendance book.

"I will ask the questions at 8.45. You can study until then," He speaks without watching me...

Afterward, as I concentrate on my Tamil book and continue to learn the chapters, I sense Vetri sir exiting the room, leaving me alone.

A few minutes later, he enters with a painful frown on his face, while wiggling his fingers. "What happened, sir?" My voice comes out before I permit myself to speak.

His reaction is concerning!

"Some hornets stung me when I went downstairs to help mom get a suitcase from her top shelf," He says that casually but I could see the anguish on his countenance.

"Sir it is harmful. You should apply turmeric or else it will pain immensely," I have experienced this pain when I was young. And my mother used to apply the turmeric mixed with water on the wound. It is a great remedy.

"It's fine," he mumbles and reclines on the chair but I couldn't be in peace while witnessing him hissing slightly and rubbing his middle finger repeatedly. He clearly seems to be in despair. "Sir! You should apply turmeric to it. It will stop the discomfort," he doesn't answer nor looks up at me from the book.

Does he know how much it hurts me when he is hurt!?

Of course not!

Frustrated by his attitude, I stand and rush out of the room. "Mayil!" I don't listen to him and lower the stairs fastly as possible. His mother wasn't in the living room, neither was she in the kitchen when I enter.

Thus it became easy for me to plug the turmeric jar and pour some turmeric powder onto my palm. Then I turn on the pipe and get some water.

While mixing it, I saunter upstairs to Vetri sir. He is standing at the entrance of his room with his stick held around his hand...

Inflammation is apparent on his middle finger on the other hand. And he still appears to be in anguish. Once he notices me, he begins to part his lips but I catch his wrist and drag him inside.

"Sit here, sir," obviously, he doesn't oblige. With great effort, I make him sit back on his chair. But I know he has given in, otherwise, no matter how hard I try, I couldn't really move him.

Subsequently, I snatch the stick from his hand and place it on the desk, then I grip his injured finger and smear the turmeric all over his finger.

He hisses periodically but doesn't really resist me from continuing my action. "The pain will subside soon sir," I mutter and was about to shift away from him when his free hand clasps itself onto my light blue button-up shirt's collar and pulls me towards him.

A low gasp escapes my lips at his unanticipated move and I stare unblinkingly into the eyes that I've missed terribly for the past weeks.

Our eye contact instantly gives me the odd sensation inside my stomach. "Let's stop this Mayil," the pleading behind his cold tone is apparent.

"No sir. We aren't right for each other. This won't end well," He yanks me more closer to his face. "How are we not right for each other? Can you elaborate," I gulp when I discern the inches between our faces.

"Sir...you are rich...I'm not up to your status...also my parents wouldn't accept love marriages. And you are my teacher. There is no way for this to succeed," he leans close and I shut my eyes.

"My status has nothing to do with this. And my profession won't be a hindrance after you pass out your 12th. Plus, I can talk with your parents and convince them," He makes it sound so easy. But I don't know If this is going to be simple as his words...

I slowly open my eyelids and gaze at him. "What say then, will you be mine now?" He queries in a whisper that sends shivers down my spine. Never have I ever thought Vetri sir will ask this to me!

"Yes sir..." I trail off, my voice delicate.  And then his lips press against my forehead. The skin there tickles and my insides flutter in paradise...

Separating his lips from my forehead, he stands up and embraces me in a hug. "You are mine..."he says into my ear and I nod, submitting myself entirely to him, looking past the consequences of our controversial love.

_______________________