3

Mayil

Diverting my legs from striding to the direction where my school was installed, I instead, stroll towards the path that leads to the large playground of our nearby street.

Upon attaining the ground, I plummet my school bag near the base of a banyan tree and dash in glee towards the kids who are currently playing seventies. These kids don't go to school and their parents don't push them either as education lacks prominence in our Village.

I met them a month ago after I enrolled my 10th class for the fifth time. Due to the teasings from my class students, one day, I roamed aimlessly and found this playground. The kids who were playing there invited me to join their games and I instantly let myself in.

From that day onwards, I bunk my classes on alternative days and come here to relish my mind.

"Mayil akka is here!" The kids scream and run toward me while I beam cheerfully.

"So what are we going to play today?" I question with inquisitiveness as I halt in front of them. "Ranjith stole the football from his brother's school akka!" My eyes widen in surprise.

"Stealing is a bad habit Ranjith," the kid looks apologetic. "But I won't do it again akka," he pinches his ears and I nod, sparing him.

"Fine then, let's play football!" I say giddily.

I draw a line on the ground and whoever gets the ball to cross the lines gains a point. Then we begin hitting the ball using our feet and became a laughing and sweating mess after an hour or so!

Yet we continue playing till our bodies can't stand the scorching heat of the sun anymore. Thereafter, the kids and I walk to the tree plantation to the left side of the ground. Once we were face to face with the mango tree, we commenced hurling stones to obtain the mangoes.

I successfully managed to bring two mangoes down but the kids, as soon as they got hold of the mangoes, ran away from me.

This is their lunchtime, anyways!

Smiling at them, I shake my head and focus my interest back on the tree. I ascend the tree with ease as I was used to performing the same from my childhood. I love climbing trees!

Placing myself on one of the long branches of the tree, I plug a mango from the hands of the tree and munch on it, feeling enticed by its taste.

Consequently, I jump off the tree after having the mango and fetch my clothe-made bag, making my way to my cousin Jayanthi's house. She is my mother's younger sister's daughter!

And I'm going to meet her to research about my soon-to-be tuition teacher. He is most likely, well, must be working in the school where she was pursuing her 9th grade. After all, there are only two schools in our Village.

As I trudge to reach her home, I detect students strolling out to their respective residences as well. As it is Friday, the schools usually vacate the students after lunch hour...

I pass by many tiny dwellings and it took me more than 30 minutes to attain Jayanthi's home which is identical to ours.

When I'm in front of her home, I was relatively stupefied to see Jayanthi perched on the veranda with her book open on her lap. She seems to be actively studying. She is basically lazy in learning, hence discovering her like this caught me in shock.

"Jayanthi!" She looks up at me, her small eyes sparkling as she regards me with affection. "Woah! What a surprise Akka, come in," she welcomes me, shoving the book from her lap and approaching me, merrily.

"Where is Aunt?" I ask as she guides me inside her home. "She has gone to fetch water from the well akka." I nod and hunch at the floor of the living room while she reclines beside me with a smile.

Her father is a carpenter and I know he must have gone to work, thus I don't enquire about him...

"Any reason for your unexpected visit!?" She quirks her eyebrows. "Yes, Jayanthi! My father has decided to send me to a tuition center conducted by someone named Vetri. I'm here to ask you about him. Tell me, is he a sweet person or strict?" I inquire nervously. I absolutely loathe the teachers that are always hot on the head.

Jayanthi's reaction stimulates fear to settle in my heart. She has precisely frozen, with her eyes broadened slightly. "What's wrong?" I poke her arms, nervously.

Coming out of the freeze zone, she extends her bruised palm toward me. "Do you know who did this?" I guessed the answer, but afraid that it would be accurate, I remained shush. Please don't be true.

"It's done by Vetri sir the last day! He is nowhere near sweet Mayil. He is arrogant, scary, and very harsh with students," I fist my fingers, frightened by the way she described him.

"But he teaches well. And you could avoid getting beaten up If you learn everything like a good student, and be on his generous side. Even so, he is unnerving. He doesn't see partiality between girls and boys. For him, everyone is equal and there's no difference in the punishment he-- I pause her abruptly.

"Enough enough, you are terrifying me," She giggles at my words.

"Okay...then shall I say something good about him to lower your fear?" I nod my head, vigorously.

She leans close to my ear and whispers, "He is so handsome," I slap my hand on my forehead. He might be good-looking but what does that have anything to do with helping me decrease my apprehension over him!?

That day, I procure my home in the evening and was scolded by my mother for roaming around after school hours. I heed her words in one ear and let them pass out through the other. That's what my father asked me to do when I complained to him about my mother's berating.

Then later at twilight, I go along with a bunch of people in our area to the wealthy house on our street. Only that family has the money to afford a television. They are good people and cleared out some spaces behind their house for us to enjoy the movie that would be played on the television.

There was only one channel named 'DD' and every once a week's Twilight, they would put on old Tamil movies, and sometimes, the news ones.

Spotting myself beside some of my friends, I proceed to watch the MGR's movie (a famous evergreen actor) with bubbling curiosity, trying to forget the description of the tuition teacher, Vetri.

_______________________

How was it guys? How do you feel about our leads?