40

Mayil

I'm frightened at the various problems Hema could cause. For a fact, I know that she feels something for Vetri sir...hence it's obvious she would create issues to divide us both in one way or another. But what will she exactly do is the question. Would she spread this news to her friends? There's a high chance for that to occur, but If it happens, Vetri sir's reputation will be at stake. I won't allow anyone to defame him!

Oh god...what is she going to do??

With that distressing thought, I attend the school the next day. The first three hours went by normally, but throughout each class, I couldn't keep my mind straight.

At the lunch break, as usual, Harini and I go to wash our hands before eating and that's when I meet Hema. She stops us and looks at me, dead in the eyes. "I want to talk to you," she speaks to me in a flat tone which stirs fear in my guts. "I do not trust you with Mayil akka," Harini clutches my hands protectively while Hema maintains her steady gaze at me.

"I will be okay, you go and get the food for me too," Harini pouts at my words but obeys anyways. Once she leaves us alone, Hema drags me by my wrist to the backside of the restroom facility where none usually lingers.

"How long has this been going on?" She questions sternly. "Almost two months...and I know you like Vetri sir but we are in love with each other..." She scrunches her face in disdain and a bitter smile paints her lips.

"I have been in love with him ever since he joined this school but he likes a girl so poor as you...both in status and beauty. You must have done some black magic to him or else there's no chance that a man as great as him would even glance your way twice!" She lets out through gritted teeth.

Understanding her resentment and the words that are thrown my way because of her pain, I stay mute and don't respond to her.

"I don't know what you will do but I shouldn't see you anywhere near him from now onwards!" She seethes and I gaze at her indifferently.

"That's not possible Hema. I won't go away from him," I utter determinedly which makes her face sparkle with wrath.

"You have to! If you don't, I won't hesitate to spread your affair with Vetri sir within our school!" I tense at her utterances. This is what I feared the most...

"Are you insane? It will ruin Vetri sir's reputation!" I almost yell at her in disbelief. "I don't care! And If you care so much, save him and his name by leaving him alone!," my heart trembles as I listen to her. She obviously doesn't love him If she is willing to diminish his honor among the masses.

"No..." I say lowly as I shake my head.

"Then be ready to face the consequences!" My brain imagines the outcome of what Hema had said. Though there's no apparent evidence regarding our relationship in Hema's hands...people will still believe the rumor once it begins circulating. And as Vetri sir takes private sessions for me, there are more possibilities of the students trusting the same. This will strengthen the rumor and both of our names will be spoiled.

If my father came to know about this...I don't even want to imagine the result. He would be broken. People will call me a characterless girl. It's definitely not what I wanted my father to heed about his daughter to whom he gave every opportunity in her life. He worked hard day and night for me and the least I could do is to not bring shame to him.

I have to take a solid decision now...

Before Hema could move away, I reply in a low tone. "I will leave him," A smirk spreads across her brims as I blurt out the same. "Good choice Mayil," she pats my shoulder and walks away in glee.

Meanwhile, I fist my hands, angered at myself for having to say such words. I can't leave him and I won't! I'm his. But, for the time being, I have to stay away from him...

It's for our own good.

Some stubborn tears plummets down my eyes and I wail till my heart feels a little less heavy.

The second class after the lunch break was of Vetri sir's. I never once look up at him, afraid that I would break down in tears without any restraint.

Vetri sir behaved as usual. He taught a grammar portion and left when the bell rang. I'm sure he has noticed my change in attitude and he certainly will question about it in the tuition.

I have to make him understand the situation.

Thus, as soon as the school disperses the students, I dash to my aunt's home along with Jayanthi and prepare myself to attend the tuition.

Once I attain his home, I carefully step inside. His mom was in the kitchen which I learned by the sounds of utensils being moved. Sneakily, I ascend the stairs and reach the room.

And I await there impatiently for Vetri sir to show up. He did, after a few painful minutes. "Mayil," He enters and shuts the door, cautiously. If only we had done this yesterday, we would have not been gotten caught by her.

I stroll forward and embrace him tightly. He hugs me back, evenly passionate.

"Mayil, are you alright?" I tip my head up at him and shake my head negatively. "No sir. Hema threatened to ruin our name by spreading rumors about our relationship. She asked me to leave you If I wanted to save our reputation and I agreed, so that she wouldn't do something bad. I can't ever be away from you sir but we have to pretend so, in order to be not under suspicion. We also should stop our private session, sir,"

I speak breathlessly and exhale as I finish. "I endorse everything you have said. But not the cancellation of our private classes. How about we re-schedule your extra class timing from 4.45 to 5.30? That's the only moment I get to spend alone with you and I wouldn't want to lose it," I stare at him, unsurely.

"No sir! If she finds out, then she---

I pause as a cold hand embraces my bare waist by traveling inside my shirt. I gasp slightly as the rough hand caresses the skin there.

"Mayil, you concede with me, right?" I flicker my eyelids up to him again, shivering under the soft strokes of his hand on my waist. "Yes, sir," I respond, bewitched by his touch.

Then he kisses me on my chin, too close to my lips, and spares me when I whimper unconsciously.

His lips move back, but his hand still lurks beneath my shirt, tracing places that have never been grazed. "Sir..." I shudder involuntarily.

"Mayil," his palm squeezes the skin rigidly, and with a sigh, he departs his hand from my body. "What did you do to me?" He asks, rather frustrated.

I peek up at him, wordlessly and reply with the only words that come to my mind.

"I don't know sir," heeding my reply, he chuckles and engulfs me again in a mellow hug.

_____________________