22

Mayil

On Sunday, Vetri sir once again fries my brain with mathematics. However, I can't deny the fact that I'm actually getting a grip on that algebra concept. Also, I can't help liking Vetri sir more with each fleeting day. I don't know If this is what people call as love but I adore and respect him a lot.

Besides that, though I was once inquisitive about my feelings for him, now I don't want to find out about it at all.

Because my parents would break my leg If they ever figure out about me being in love with someone before marriage. Thus, I let it be. I am well capable of governing my heart and I would not ever permit it to fall in love.

The following day, that is, on Monday, I attend school as usual. But during lunch hour, I accidentally crash with Hema while returning to the class after washing my hands. Shocked, we both stare at each other for a few seconds.

This is the first time I'm seeing her in this school and I'm sure it is the same case with her as well. "Akka, this is my elder sister, Hema! She is in 12th." With expanded eyes, I look to my side at Harini in terror.

Oh god, how did I not notice that!?

"She is your classmate?" Hema questions with surprise. Harini giddily nods and clings to my side. "Why are you calling her as 'akka' then?" Hema inquires further, seeming disputed.

"She is eighteen, so she is my 'akka'" Harini expresses with a shrug.

"Why is she still in school then!?" Hema booms in confusion while I shift uncomfortably. "Unfortunately, she has failed in her tenth-grade exams four times..." As realization sets in Hema's face at her small sister's confession, she gives me a mocking smirk.

Why does Harini have to say that to Hema!? But I can see that Harini trusts her sister so much and doesn't have any other malicious intention behind her words.

Yet...Hema already always laughs at me for my poor knowledge of studies and now that she is aware of my past, she would surely try to degrade me.

"Your name should be Makku(fool) instead of Mayil. It would suit you way too better," Hema cracks up teasingly.

"Akka! Don't be mean," Harini supports me but her sister is having too much fun, it seems. "Wait, Makku mayil would be the right name for you. I will you call you the same from now onwards." She beams widely while I just walk away, mortified.

"Bye makku Mayil," I heed her behind me but I don't retort nor do I glance back at her. "Akka, I'm sorry on behalf of her! I thought she would be nice to you..." Harini follows me and blurts out in a genuinely worried tone.

"It's okay..." I soothe her, tossing a small smile her way.

Once the school time ends, I make my way towards aunt's home with Jayanthi. On our way, a few students who attend the same tuition as me provide me ambiguous peeks and belittling smiles...

Some even start to call me 'makku Mayil,'

But I dismiss them, understanding that it is Hema who has spread the news of me being eighteen and failing the exams for four years continuously. What infuriates me more is she has even widespread the word makku Mayil. Luckily, Jayanthi was too lost it chatting with me that she doesn't discern the things happening around us.

Due to the mockery of students, my mood was quite off when I arrive at the tuition. Yet beholding the collected and fresh face of Vetri sir, an unexplainable sensation washes over me. As a result, I had a small smile on my lips as I seat myself in the corner.

A few minutes later, when Sir exits the room, I heed to the word makku Mayil being murmured by the girls. I don't know who was saying it but as I search through the girls, half of them had a sardonic smile on their countenance.

My eyes begin to pool with tears at the ridicule. I despise such behavior to the core! Staring gloomily down at my English textbook, I watch as my tears plummet out of my eyes and dissolve onto the page of the book.

I wished my despair could diminish as the tears that melts over the paper.

The humiliation continues and I proceed to wail, unable to withstand it. Afterward, when Vetri sir enters into the room and starts questioning, I don't answer.

He looks disappointed at first but as he peers into my eyes, I know he has acknowledged my state. Thus, he doesn't reprimand or beat me. Instead, asked me to sit back down and learn.

And for the rest of the class, he doesn't bother questioning me, but I perceived his gaze on me oftentimes...

Subsequently, when the class terminates and all students evacuate the room, Vetri sir halts me.

"Mayil," I turn around and come face to contact with his chest. Alarmed, I take a step back and keep my gaze on the floor. "Why were you crying?" He asks in his calm voice.

"Nothing serious sir. I just felt inferior, compared to the other students." I didn't want to admit the truth to him. I'm not a kid anymore to freely complain about the teasing to him. And I also feel embarrassed to say it out.

"Did someone said anything hurtful to you?" I shake my head, negatively.

"You could share anything that bothers you Mayil..." I perk up at him, my chest feeling heavy at his intense gaze.

"Sir, it's nothing." I smile softly and I had a great urge to just hug him tight and sob. But I restrain the idea...

"If you say so.." he sighs, and I excuse myself from him.

The condescending attitude of the students went overboard the next day. I was surprised at how fast the sweet students of my class changed into arrogant ones when they came to know about my history...

It was too much for me to deal with.

When I first entered my class, the students chanted 'makku Mayil' in chorus and laughed at me. I held myself together and didn't break down. But at every interval they get, the students attempted to harass me with words that stabbed me severely and tore my resistance.

Because of that, I attended classes after midday with bloodshot eyes. Vetri sir recognized my state but he didn't enquire me anything in the class...

But I know he will, once we were at the tuition. Nevertheless, I'm not going to open this up to him, I can handle this, myself.

Or so I thought.

__________________________