20

Mayil

Ever been so happy that your lips just can't stop pulling itself in a smile?

I feel alright that I don't have to change my name but I feel ecstatic that Vetri sir thinks I'm beautiful!

Still blushing profusely, I turn to Jayanthi. Scarcely a moment ago we both occupied our places on the mat.
"Jayanthi," I call her, scratching her arms as I reminisce back to Vetri, sir.

"What happened akka?" She tilts her head to me, confused. "Vetri sir said that I'm beautiful..." I flush and hide my face in her arms. The same odd sensation takes over my stomach at his thoughts.

"You are so in love with him akka," petrified, I stop smiling at once. Could it be that? Because I know this isn't normal. I have never felt any of this, it's new and distinct yet so blissful.

"No Jayanthi. It's not that," I blurt out, my mind in chaos. "Keep on denying it as long as you could akka but one day you will surely realize," suddenly disputed by her words, the previous giddy mood diminishes and an unsettling feeling weighs on my heart...

That night, I couldn't sleep well. And the effect of it was telecasted through my irked demeanor and unsmiling appearance the next day.

Currently, the first two classes have been gotten over and it's the morning interval. "Next hour is Vetri sir's one, he asked us to write ten examples of positive, comparative, and superlative. Did you do that?" I nod my head to Harini. I have completed it during the tuition time last night.

"Why do you look so dejected akka?" She asks in a concerned tone. Only Harini knows that I'm actually eighteen and have failed the tenth grade for four years. And she being the kind one, accepted me without teasing.

"Have you loved someone? If yes, how do you know you love them?" I inquire hopefully. "Oh...I don't know about that akka, sorry," I shake my head.

"It's okay," She smiles warmly at me.

Consequently, as English period came by, Vetri sir enters the classroom, looking way too good in his blue button up shirt and white pants.

During the class, he checks everyone's notes and corrects the homework he had given us. When it is my turn, I lend him the note and wait anxiously as he goes through each one and ticks right using his red ink pen.

"Good," my heart skips a beat at his appreciation that is so casually confessed.

Is this a symptom of love!?

Once Vetri sir moves to the next row after correcting and saying 'good' to Harini, I face her with a question. "How do you feel?" The girl offers me a perplexed gaze. "Why? Normal..." She trails off, probably thinking that I've gone crazy.

"No, but...did your heart skip a beat or did you feel anything weird when he said 'good'?" I whisper to her, aware that Vetri sir is just behind us, intently examining the student's homework.

"No akka, I didn't feel anything unusual. And Akka...are you, by chance, in love with Vetri sir?" She whispers back and I shrug, wishing to find the answer to the same.

"I don't kn-" someone knocked over my head. As I perk up, my eyes meet Vetri sir's one and soon, my stomach starts to react weirdly again...

"Don't waste your time. Study something," he says calmly and continues to correct the homeworks.

And for the rest of the classes, I sit there, befuddled with my own emotions.

In the evening, when the time to attend tuition arrives, I saunter gloomily towards his house. Entering the class, I found that Vetri sir is yet to appear.

A few minutes later, he intrudes into the room in a grey t-shirt and black pants. His hair is ruffled, and that gave him a more tantalizing look.

Placing himself on the chair, he begins to swim his gaze to the students and suddenly glances at me. I should have peered away but I continue to stare back at him until he cuts off the eye contact after a few seconds.

He then runs his hands through his hair, shakes his head slightly, and exits the class. I somehow get myself together in his absence and start to focus on my studies.

He has taught us about the 'figure of speech' today and asked us to write one sentence under every figure of speech as homework.

As I continue doing that, Vetri sir again enters but this time, I don't unnecessarily glance at him even though my eyes are begging me to do it.

"Any doubts?" He asks his usual question and from the corner of my eye, I see him perching on the chair.

"Sir!" Hema yells. "Get your book and come," Vetri sir instructs and I heed to Hema walking as her anklets jiggle.

Then I again concentrate on my homework and casually look up...only to find a very horrific scene of Hema standing close to Vetri sir who is teaching something to her while moving the pen through the note that lays on the desk. Hema's head is bowed as she listens to him.

My stomach burns at the sight of her being nearer to Vetri sir. She also periodically steals glances at his face and that infuriated me beyond limits!

How dare she! I just want to stab her eyes...

Wait--

Why in the world am I getting angry over this? Why does it matter to me If Hema looks at him in that way?

Is this also a symptom of love?

Subsequently, at the end of the class, I don't linger back unnecessarily and just leave soon after Vetri sir marks my attendance.

I'm sure I will go nuts If I don't figure out my feelings quickly as possible.

_________________________