17

Vetri

This is no good. Maybe Mayil took my generous behavior of offering the sandals in a different way, because that could be the only plausible reason for her present unusual demeanor.

I've noticed it in the school itself. The timidness of her has told me everything she's hiding. I couldn't blame her entirely since I'd also been having weird feelings from the past night. The girl even appeared in my dreams as a result of me constantly thinking about her.

I'm appalled at myself. How did I allow myself to build such kind of feelings for her? If I was in my teenage, I would have just shrugged it off as a mere crush. But I'm a grown man now and I certainly know what I'm looking for. And it's not definitely love. I just want to educate the students and help them construct a good future.

Whatever it may be, but I'm confident in myself. I wouldn't let these inappropriate feelings to float at all.

Let it drown...deep down.

At the moment, Mayil is perched on her usual spot, at the corner, and is stealing glances at me often. I've told her to learn the question tags...but she doesn't seem to be interested in doing it now. It's already been more than thirty minutes.

Clutching the stick tight, I stroll towards her. She stands up and gives me the book, instantly. Yet, her eyes are grazing the floor, refusing to look into mine.

"I'm here! Look up," I utter in a strict tone. Maybe that was a bad idea...

That eye contact between us is brief but too effective to my liking. Neglecting the sensation, I stare at her menacingly and ask the question.

"Lily has gone to her home, what is the question tag that would be appropriate here?" She doesn't seize time before answering. "Hasn't she?"

"They will go to school...?" I query again. "Won't they?" She says, determinedly.

I ask another set of questions and she answers each and every one correctly.
How did she learn it so fastly? I've taught it at school for the first time and If I'm not wrong, Mayil wasn't particularly concentrating. And even after coming to tuition, I've seen her trying to glimpse at me more than she ever tries to look at her book.

Therefore, how is this possible?

"When did you learn?" I inquire, my mood grumpy.

"I learned it in my home before coming to the tuition." That's surely good progress. "Fine, now revise the answer the following questions of the first chapter. I expect your best efforts," a smile strokes her lips as she replies.

"Just as you say, sir..." She then acquires her book from me and settles down.

For the rest of the class, Mayil focused on her book and I became the one who couldn't cease glancing at her.

And before the class ends, I question Mayil again and to my utter suprise, she answered correctly even though she stuttered and forgot a few words.

Afterward, every student leave the class as I mark each one of their attendance. At last, only Mayil stays behind even and she doesn't move out even after I've taken her attendance.

"Any problem Mayil?" I query as I close the book and slant back on the chair. "I have a request to make sir." Nodding my head, I ushered her to go ahead.

"Can I attend tuition at the weekends as well sir? I have a lot of portions to cover and I'm afraid that I would fall asleep If I decide to learn it at my home. But If it's in the tuition, you will keep an eye on me and I also could ask you the doubts that may arise while studying..." Narrowing my eyes at her, I regard her calmly.

She appears to be truly concerned about her studies. "Okay," I respond with a single word and stand up from the chair.

Mayil doesn't try to shift out of the room and just prevails beside the wooden desk, seemingly expecting something from me. She is in a reddish-green old half saree and it's very apparent that she is an adult...

Black hair parted between the middle and held tightly into a long braid, innocuous eyes lined with eyetex, a dark bindi between her pretty eyebrows...

She looks beautiful!

....did I just check her out? Forget it! It wasn't me who told all those words about her being beautiful.

"Um...Sir..." I roll out of my daze and focus my eyes on hers. "Yes?" I quirk my eyebrow, straightening my thoughts.

"You looked at me...weirdly," she stutters.

"I did not," I lie bluntly, not wanting to get caught for my action.

"You did sir. You stared at me intently and in a very dazed manner...." I clear my throat, frowning to hide the embarrassment.

"Dazed manner? What do you think you are? A very beautiful girl?" Her features turn dull in a matter of seconds. But this is needed, this will keep her away from me. She would loathe me and that means, she would not ever develop any hard feelings for me.

"I know I'm not very gorgeous. But you still looked at me in a dazed manner sir!!" She screeches unanticipatedly and with a furious look thrown in my direction, she leaves the room.

Well, she would hate me now, right?
_____________________________