Chapter 1: Sealed with a bracelet

Start from the beginning

"Ashley, Connie, do we have any vinegar up at the house?" he asks.

Aunt Connie responds, "Yeah I think we bought some to go with the cucumber salad I'm making today." "Let's head up and we can get the pee washed off, did they say vinegar would work on it? Poor girl."

"Kendall, go ahead and take her up there and get something on it so she's not hurting any more, we'll get everything and bring it up. It looks like it's going to start raining anyway", my mom orders.

"Wait for me Uncle Kendall! I want to go with you guys!" Auggie tells my dad as he starts to follow us.

"Okay little man, keep up" Auggie follows us without any shoes not wanting to be left behind.

As we enter the house we are staying in on our vacation, my dad sits me on the kitchen counter and tells me to "sit still and do not move. I'm going to find the vinegar." Auggie comes up and holds my hand. "Sorry Riv that my pee didn't work, I really thought it would".

"It's okay Auggie", I squeeze his hand. My dad comes back with the bottle of vinegar. He grabs a big bowl and pours the vinegar and sits the bowl in the sink. He slides me to the side and places my foot in the bowl. It's freezing until my foot adjust to the temperature of the vinegar. Once my foot gets used to the temperature, I don't feel the burning as much the whole time Auggie is still holding my hand.

"Let's keep that in there for a little bit, stay here with her Auggie I need to go run and get a towel." My dad turns and walks off towards the bathroom.

"That stuff stinks" Auggie scrunches his nose.

"Yeah, but it does make it feel better."

"I can't believe you let me pee on you" he says with a smirk. I smile back, "me either." I have a feeling I will never live this down.

My dad comes back in with a towel in his hand, he turns the water on and waits for it to warm up. "How does it feel? Do you still feel any burning?" he questions. I shake my head. I can feel it a little bit, but definitely not like it was earlier. He dumps the vinegar down the drain moving my foot to the warm water and fills the bowl up again and starts to soak my foot again.

The door opens and everyone comes in from the beach. "We headed in at the right time, it's sprinkling." Uncle Eddie tells my dad.

My dad removes my foot from the warm water and dries my foot off. "I want you to stay off of your feet and take this" he holds a spoon up to my mouth and I swallow whatever is in the spoon. He pulls me off the counter and sits me back on the floor. "Go sit on the couch, I won't make you take a bath just yet, let me or your mom know if it starts hurting okay honey?"

~

If you haven't figured it out Auggie is my best friend. Our moms are best friends. They went to the same college but did not become friends until they started working for the same company out of college a few years later. They both lived in neighboring towns but hung out with similar crowds. They started hanging out and have been best friends ever since, living together, getting into trouble together, they even enlisted in the army together. My mom even introduced Aunt Connie to Uncle Eddie. Uncle Eddie was my mom's friend first. Aunt Connie and Uncle Eddie argue who her best friend is. It's funny.

When it was time to start families, my mom and Aunt Connie wanted their kids to grow up together. So they tried having babies at the same time, but my mommy had Serena first. My Aunt Connie and mom did not give up, they wanted their kids to grow up together, so after my mom found out she was pregnant with me, my Aunt Connie was devastated. Aunt Connie and Uncle Eddie went to the doctor to find out why she couldn't get pregnant like mommy, and she found out she was pregnant too with my best friend Auggie. Auggie is older than me by a few months, but we have always been close.