How About A Family?

"Hey..."

You turned around, looking into Natsu's eyes. "Yeah?"

"What do you think about starting a family?"

___

Lucas was already gone to his first day of kindergarten.

The house seemed too quiet without him around.

Plume and Happy were both at home, leaving you and Natsu at Fairy Tail.

"A family?" You asked, a bit hesitant. Natsu smiled uneasily. "I-it's not like we have to, but what would you think about it?"

You have a soft 'hmm'.

'Isn't childbirth rated the most painful experience? I heard it's like being burned alive.'

You meet Natsu's gaze. "To be honest..."

"What's up?" He tilted his head.

"There's much to worry about like miscarriage, home space, money, time, the pain of giving birth, the chance of dying-"

Natsu grimaced, and cut you off with a "you worrywart."

Gray peered over. "Something troubling you?" He asked.

"Butt out, ice skater."

"I wasn't as-"

"Guys." You held up a hand, stopping them. "Not today."

Natsu immediately shut up.

"Man he's wrapped." Gray muttered. You threw him a glare, to which he backed off. "Okay, okay."

"So..." Natsu started, "is that a no?"

You smiled at him. "It's not a no, it's just..."

"It's just...?" Natsu echoed.

You ran out of words, and just threw your hands up in the air. "I dunno."

Natsu looked at you blankly. "What?"

"I said- I dunno."

You winced as you looked over to him, his face showed a tiny shred of disappointment.

"Natsu, I..." Your hand lightly brushed his shoulder. He stiffened as if suddenly waking up.

"Nah, I get it." He said with a clearly false smile. "I won't push it."

"That's not it!" Your face burned red as you stammered to speak. "P-promise not to laugh?"

Natsu smiled. "There's nothing worth laughing about."

"I'm...scared." Your voice was tiny as you looked away from him.

He didn't speak, but a moment later- you felt someone's arms wrap around you.

You looked into Natsu's eyes. "Oh my god you're so cute." He laughed, giving your forehead a kiss.

"Hey! You promised not to laugh!" You protest, pushing his arms away.

He chuckled as he settled back into his seat. "Well, yeah. But I had my fingers crossed."

___

"And- and they had this huuuuuuge cake for us!" Lucas's eyes sparkled as he explained what had happened at school.

You looked at him, his arms waving around with his tiny blue backpack he had insisted on getting.

You crouched down, meeting his eyes. "Did you make any new friends, Lucas?" You asked, petting his head.

He smiles back at you, his signature closed eyes brilliant smile.

"Yes, mama! I made friends with a lotta people!"

"A lotta?" You heard Natsu ask. "A lot of." Lucas spoke slowly, before attaching himself to Natsu's leg.

"Ne, papa!" He laughed as Natsu tried to shake him off. "Yeah?" Natsu asked.

"Why does everyone have a sister an' a brother except me?"

Natsu looked at you. 'See?' His expression seemed to be saying.

You sigh. "Did papa tell you to say that?"

Lucas shook his head. "No, they really all do have sisters and brothers!"

You linked your fingers together. "I...see." You hugged Lucas. "Maybe if you wish hard enough, you'll get one." Natsu suggested.

You turned to look at him. "You're always giving him weird ideas." You grinned.

Natsu jerked his head towards Lucas. You got up, and looked at him. He was concentrating hard, his hands clasped in-front of him, and his eyes squeezed closed.

"Please, please, please...!" He whispered, his hands practically shaking from the pressure.

He unclasped his hands with a bright smile. "I'm done!" He announced. "Where's my baby?" He demanded.

"Your baby?" You laughed.

Natsu grinned, and messed up Lucas's hair with his hand.

___

"Mama!" Lucas demanded, sitting on your lap at the kitchen table. He looked up at you and Natsu, his golden eyes shining brilliantly.

"How did you and Papa meet?" He asked, dreamily.

Natsu's eyebrow shot up. "Oh man." He said. "Oh man."

You poke Natsu. "Yeah. How did we meet?" You ask, giving him a sly smile.

He kissed your forehead. "It's not that cute, Lucas. You don't want to hear it." Natsu said.

Lucas stared up at Natsu with big wide eyes.

Then, his big eyes began to fill with tears.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Natsu hurriedly said. "Just kidding, I'll tell you!"

You giggle at his flustered self. "Go on, Mr. Dragneel." You said.

Lucas sat up straighter in his seat. "Yes, papa?" He asked, a big smile on his face- all signs of crying gone.

"Mama and I met..."

"Your dad crashed into me." You interrupted him. Lucas's eyes widened. "Papa! You told Lucas that you had to be nice to girls!"

Natsu blinked. "Wait..."

"And then he fell on me." You said quickly.

Natsu nudged you hard, a scowl on his face. Lucas's expression turned into pure horror.

"Papa!" He scolded.

Natsu ducked his head. "That's not what-wait actually nevermind."

"Exactly." You prompted, a victory smile on your face.

"I..." Natsu sighed in defeat. "Yeah your mother is right."

"But I got free food out of it." He grinned cheekily.

Lucas made a small yelp. "So if you knock over people...you get free food!" He concluded.

"Why does this always happen?" Natsu laughs.

"Because you say stupid things." You laughed, giving his cheek a peck.