You Must Be Joking

You watch Natsu hug Lucas, "Daddy!" Lucas cried, "don't leave!" He buried his tear-streaked face in Natsu's shoulder.

Natsu awkwardly kneeled there, unsure of what to say. He whispered something in Lucas's ear, making him cry even harder.

Natsu looked up at you. You smiled at him through your tears. 'Keep it in, (Y/N).'

But when he flashed you an angelic smile, you felt your dam breaking. Immediately, you wiped them away, the hard fabric rubbing at your eyes.

"(Y/N)?" Natsu asked, worriedly. He didn't seem used to all the tears.

"I'm good." You sniffle, rubbing your eyes. "I'm good." You repeat when he stand up, coming close to you.

"C'mere, Lucas." You hear Happy, Plume, Lily, and Carla try their best to cheer up Lucas.

"I'm good." You force a laugh. 'I'm definitely not good.'

You frown, after seeing Natsu's unconvinced face. You immediately grab his hand and squeeze it tight.

He leaves a light kiss on your forehead. "See ya- don't do anything too stupid while I'm gone."

He untangles his hands from your hair, and walks away.

'Turn around.' You willed him, silently. And he did, as if he could hear you. Natsu flashed a comforting expression at you.

"What are you thinking..?" You murmur at his retreating back. He was too far away to hear.

"Young love..." you hear a voice, causing you to jump. "M-Mira?" You stammer.

She gave a teasing look. "You're not really observant, but I guess that's okay."

You sulked. "Are you insulting me or complimenting me?"

She looked straight ahead at the Fairy Tail members, their figures looking mysterious as they walked on, a strong breeze carrying their capes.

Mira didn't answer. "Do you know why I didn't go, (Y/N)?" She asked, never taking her eyes off them.

"It's because Natsu and Gramps asked me to stay behind and watch you." She answered when you gave no response.

This caught your attention. "They did?"

Rather than feeling touched, you sorta felt a bit of indignation. 'What, they think I can't take care of myself or something?'

Mira laughed. "You're supposed to feel happy, (Y/N)."

"You knew what I felt?" You asked, astonished. "It's all over your face." She said, walking away with a smile.

You let out a breath you didn't even realize you were holding. "Come here, Lucas." You said, rubbing your eyes.

But no squeaky voice greeted you. No hugs, no tears, nothing.

You paled. "Lucas?" You called, panicking. "Cats!"

No response. The spot where the Exceeds and Lucas were just at- was empty.

You felt a presence next to you. "What happened, (Y/N)?" Mira asked, her eyes wide.

"Lucas, the Exceeds, I can't find them!"

"Okay, so we know Carla, Happy, and Lily left with them."

"...then that just leaves Plume..." You muttered, relaxing a little. 'Plume can take care of Lucas by herself, if they're together.'

"No, where are they?!" You cry, using your purple flames as a tornado, sweeping you up so you could have a better view.

"(Y/N)!" Mira yelled, shielding her eyes due to the bright sunlight. "You're destroying everything!"

She used her magic to cut your tornado off, causing you to fall to the ground with a loud crash.

"Mira, I'm such a horrible mother! Who loses their child?!" You stand up, not even bothering to dust yourself off.

She looks at you sympathetically. "Don't worry, we'll find them!" She said, optimistically.

"I can't believe myself." You mutter, parting the bushes. "Lucas! Plume??" You call.

Again, dead silence greeted you.

'Oh sh*t- what if they're dead!?'

Your brain began to conjure up images, and you shook your head frantically, trying to scatter them.

"Lucas! Plume!" You called again, walking back to the main road. "Wait! There's footsteps over here!" Mira called out.

"Footsteps?" You brightened, immediately running over to her. She pointed at the dirt, where small footprints could be seen.

"Those looks small enough to be Lucas's." You hopefully glance at her. She doesn't say anything, but gives you a reassuring pat on the head.

"What are you waiting for?" You ask, tugging her up.

___

The footsteps only led back to the busy market- and then they ended.

You cursed under your breath, still looking for Lucas. Mira softly said, "(Y/N), the sun's setting."

"Good for the sun." You curtly reply.

"We can't look in the dark."

"I'll bring out lights."

You stopped, and smiled tiredly at Mira. "You can go home if you want. I'm going to keep looking."

"I'm not leaving anytime soon." She assured you. "Although, did you check him being indoors?"

"...no?"

You rushed back to Fairy Tail, flinging the doors open. "Lucas?" You cautiously said. "Plume?"

Mirajane strode inside, and quickly looked over the whole building. "They're not in here." She concluded.

"Then where.." You sighed, rubbing your forehead. 'Wait. Home.'

You ran out of Fairy Tail, without a second thought. "(Y/N)?" Mira called after you. "I'm checking home!" You yell back.

You gasped for air as you stepped onto the doormat of your apartment, took a deep breath, and unlocked the door.

You pushed open the white-beige door, walking into the living room.

"Plume? Lucas...?"

You observed the clean living room. 'Just like how I left it.'

You wander into the kitchen, your eyes darting at every small movement.

"Boo."

"Ah!" You jump back, a frightened expression on your face. Suddenly, the lights turned on.

"Happy Birthday to you~ happy birthday-"

"What the heck?!" You fumed. There, in the kitchen sat Plume and Lucas. Happily singing and safe.

"Happy birthday to you!" Lucas finished, grinning up at you with an expectant look.

"You guys...scared me so much." You said, still surprised. You enveloped each of them in a hug, before looking at the cake.

"It's my birthday?" You ask, tilting your head. Plume cheekily smiled. "Half."

"We don't celebrate half birthdays!" You protest, finding yourself smiling like a fool.

"I thought you guys were lost..." You said, your voice stuck in your throat. Mira then burst into the kitchen.

"(Y/N), I-"

She stopped.

"Wait a minute. Isn't that Plume and Lucas?" She asked, looking very confused.

You glared at the two of them. "You've got some serious explaining to do."