15 - Choice

Walking along the pathways with Natsu installed a sense of security inside you; its origin seemed strange and unfamiliar. 

You were thinking about that to say when a voice startled you. 

"Uh, Gray?" A higher, female voice cut through the air like a blade, piercing Natsu where it would affect him the most. 

And for Natsu to raise his head, looking alert. "Lucy?" He muttered, scratching his head.

You looked around.

'Where is she?'

You were about to take a step forward when Natsu grabbed your hand, and tugged you down behind a bush.

"Wha-!"

"Shh!" Natsu held his finger to his lips, his hand still on your wrist, clutching you tightly.

He stared straight ahead, through it. Through the tiny branches and leaves were Lucy and Gray.

Sitting together on a bench, they were laughing and eating ice cream. You look back to Natsu, who was staring.

His eyes were focused, and he looked panicky.

Troubled, you quietly look at him. "Natsu?"

He didn't respond. His eyes were almost glassy as he seriously looked through the bush.

You felt your heart take a deep breath and relax, slowly. "I'll be at home. You can stay here and spy on your friends." 

And instead of responding, he waved. But he never looked back.

___

At Fairy Tail, you knew you could bawl to Mirajane who wouldn't question, unlike Plume and Happy. "Mira, I don't understand!" You drank a glass of beer with Cana, hoping to drown your sorrows.

"(Y/N).... You only drank a glass. You're done already?" Cana teased, drinking another glass. "I am so not getting drunk tonight."

Mirajane smiles sweetly at you. "(Y/N), do you think he was doing it for a friend, or for a unrequited other?"

Your heart squeaked when she mentioned the "unrequited other".

"I think friend. But that might just be me denying the ugly truth." Mirajane nodded. "Good answer." She glanced outside. "Oh my, it's that late already?"

She smiled. "Maybe it's time to face home, (Y/N)." Cana has fallen asleep, lightly snoring as Mirajane pet her head.

"Yeah. Probably." You slid out of the high chair. "Goodbye, guys. Thank you." With a slight bow, you left the hall for home.

___

"Where were you?" Natsu demanded the moment you closed the door behind you.

"Fairy Tail. Where were you?"

You didn't know why you felt so crabby and snappy. It felt horrible to talk to Natsu like that.

He looked taken aback for a moment. "You know where I was."

Your eyes narrowed. "And what were you doing? Spying?"

He nodded, shameless.

"I just wanted to make sure he was good for her..." He trailed on.

"Hey Natsu, do you like Lucy?" You quietly questioned.

"I don't know. I don't think so."

Silently, you stared at the ground. "Okay." Your voice sounded pained, even as you hurried to cover it.

Tears formed as you turned to leave for the bathroom.

Strong arms quickly fell around you, and before you knew it, you were in Natsu's embrace.

You could feel his breath on your ear, as you stood there. "Natsu?"

"I don't want to end a night this way." He muttered into your hair, burying his face.

You bit your lip. "Sorry." Slipping out of his arms, you left for the bathroom.

Stepping in the bathtub, you really wanted to forgive Natsu. But the way he had just brushed you off, really ticked you off.

You didn't even know why this was such a big deal! You started to turn it on, when you heard someone coming in.

"What do you want?" 

"I'm not going to let you be mad." 

"Go away, I have every single right to be angry at you right now. Leave." 

"I know, but-" 

"Scrub my back." 

"Will you still be mad after?" He asked quietly. "We'll see," you hummed, the anger leaving you bit by bit as you eased yourself into the warm waters.

Immediately, he replied, "okay." 

Pushing your annoyance aside, you watched as he immediately offered his help. "I'm not mad at you."

It was chosen. 

You picked your relationship over your feelings. 

'I lied- I'm still mad.'

'You idiot.'

___

After somehow sorting it out, you lay in bed with Natsu. Quietly, you faced him. He suddenly opened his eyes. "Gotcha."

Your face grew red as you quickly denied it. "I wasn't looking at you, or anything! Don't get ideas."

He laughed softly. "Okay." Then he softly kissed you on the lips.

Your eyes widened as you tried to process what happened. "That was my first kiss with you!" You hissed.

'Not.'

He smirked. "You have a problem with that?" You hesitated and bit your lip. "No, no problem."

He grinned and kissed you on the forehead. "I like you a lot." With all your heart, you whispered back, "I like you a lot too."

'Sometimes.'