Chapter 106: Xiaoqing's Shirt

In Shanghai, Dawa managed to secure two storefronts. Although the places and locations were not particularly good, it meant that he and Dahu no longer had to set up stalls like before. They finally had a place to settle down.

Setting up stalls may offer mobility, but it also meant being exposed to the elements. Occasionally, they would encounter heavy rain, and they couldn't operate the stalls. It was another way of relying on the weather for a living.

Having a small shop was similar to before. Dawa would stock up on merchandise and sell them in the store. They even hired two articulate assistants to manage the store. Dawa and Dahu would usually go to the store after class or on weekends.

On their way back to school this time, Dawa shared his thoughts with Dahu. "I plan to collaborate with a factory to order a batch of clothes and sell them in the store."

"Collaborate?" Dahu exclaimed, "How do you plan to collaborate?"

Dawa explained, "Do you remember when we watched the Spring Festival Gala and saw that female star named Xiaoping wearing that outfit on TV? It was the bright red shirt with a turned-down collar and the black umbrella skirt."

"I remember," Dahu replied, "Didn't my mom and Aunt Ning say it looked good?"

"Yes, I want to find a clothing factory to imitate a similar style, and then sell it in the store," Dawa's eyes were filled with excitement, "I think it will definitely sell well."

When he first started doing business, Dawa would observe others' stalls and base his own decisions on that. Even when he started selling clothes, they would buy whatever was popular at the Qipu Road wholesale market. But now, things were different. Since opening the store, Dawa's mentality had slowly started to change.

He no longer wanted to "pick up scraps" after others. He wanted to create his own trends!

His mom was right. Everyone would want to wear clothes that celebrities had worn. As long as he promoted it well, he wouldn't worry about no one buying it.

Dahu didn't have as sharp of a mind as Dawa, but he was obedient. He would listen to Dawa's words. If he couldn't figure out the reasoning behind it, he wouldn't dwell on it. He simply said, "If that's what you say, that's what I'll do."

Dawa was calculating in his mind while saying, "First of all, we need to..."

Finding a factory and negotiating a collaboration, such a complicated matter, even for Dawa and Dahu together, it took them almost half a month to finalize everything and start making the clothes in a rush.

Since the store wasn't big and they didn't have much capital, it was fortunate that the materials for this set of clothes weren't expensive either. It was even said that Xiaoping bought the original shirt for only two yuan in Hong Kong.

In the end, they produced two thousand sets of such ready-to-wear clothes, but it nearly exhausted all of Dawa's capital. He even borrowed some money from Ning Tang.

By the time everything was ready, a month had passed since the start of the school year.

On Saturday, they were about to start selling the custom-made clothes in the store.

To say there was no pressure would be impossible.

Dawa had said to Dahu more than once, "What if we can't sell them? What will we do with these clothes?"

His concern was not unfounded. Nowadays, the trend was not leaning towards such bright red and bright purple colors. Black, blue, and gray were the most popular colors. Only a small group of people dared to wear bright-colored clothes. It was only in Hong Kong that this kind of bright red shirt with a turned-down collar was popular.