Chapter 42: Reputation

In June, the weather gradually became hot.

Every year in May and June, the mango trees on the side of the road on Hailang Island would bear fruit. Rows of upright mango trees were laden with large, golden-yellow mangoes, bending the branches and emanating a sweet mango fragrance.

Ning Tang and Sister Luo came back from buying groceries and happened to see this scene. Ning Tang couldn't help but lick her dry lips.

Sister Luo noticed and tiptoed to pluck a cluster of mangoes from the tree.

She picked four or five mangoes, each brown branch connected to golden-yellow mangoes with a hint of light purple, a delightful sight.

"Here, Xiaoning."

Ning Tang was taken aback, "Sister, this mango tree belongs to someone else's home. Shouldn't we pick them?"

Sister Luo laughed, "This mango tree was planted by the roadside. It doesn't belong to anyone. As long as you want to eat, you can pick them yourself."

Ning Tang took the mangoes, "I thought they were planted by someone's home or the military family compound. Just like when we distributed the custard apples last time, we had to pick them collectively and then distribute them."

Sister Luo waved her hand, "It's different this time. We picked and distributed the jackfruits because there were only a few of them. Otherwise, if some people picked and ate them while others didn't get any, there would be trouble."

Ning Tang nodded, realizing the reason behind it.

Sister Luo continued, "You can eat them with peace of mind. If the kids feel like having some, they can also pick mangoes by the roadside. There are so many mango trees along this road, more than we can eat. If we don't eat them, they will just become fertilizer and go to waste."

Ning Tang nodded and made up her mind not to let these golden and fragrant mangoes go to waste. She clenched her fist and said, "Auntie, shall we pick some more then?"

Sister Luo laughed, "Alright, I'll pick some to take back for our Old Zhao and Qingqing to enjoy."

Sister Luo and Ning Tang picked mangoes together, while Sister Luo introduced the different varieties of mangoes on Hailang Island.

There were the flat, smooth Tainong mangoes with green skin, the Qingpi mangoes with abundant juice, the Ivory mangoes that were about one and a half adult palms long, the sweet and refreshing Jinhuang mangoes that resembled cashews, and even the chicken egg-sized Jidan mangoes...

Listening to Sister Luo, Ning Tang's mouth watered.

Unfortunately, the mangoes produced by the roadside trees were mainly Ivory mangoes. To taste mangoes like Tainong, Qingpi, or Jidan, they would have to visit the vegetable market and see if any farmers were selling them. They could buy some to enjoy the taste of different mango varieties.

Back at home, Ning Tang and Dawa exchanged glances and both burst into laughter.

Ning Tang carried a basket, filled one-third with vegetables and two-thirds with freshly picked Ivory mangoes.

Dawa had just returned from somewhere, covered in dirt from head to toe. His clothes were filled with mangoes, from the hem to the top.

Looking at Erniu and Sanwa following behind him, they were in the same state.

Dawa noticed Ning Tang staring at him and quickly explained, "I used old clothes to hold them."

Ning Tang laughed, "I'm not blaming you. Hurry up and take a bath. You're so dirty that you could scrub off mud balls the size of fists."