Chapter 43: Restoring the College Entrance Examination

Thanks to Dawa, there were fresh mangoes to eat every day at home.

Ning Tang had tried all the different types of mangoes she wanted to eat, such as Tainong mangoes and egg mangoes, without spending a penny. She heard from Dawa that he exchanged the mangoes he picked with others.

Eating mangoes alone became a bit monotonous, so Ning Tang racked her brains to come up with various ways to enjoy mangoes. For example, she made mango juice and mixed it with flour to make mango dumplings, or combined mango with coconut milk and gelatin to make mango pudding... Shen Lie and the three children were delighted by the indulgence.

However, excessive indulgence in mangoes also had its downsides. Shen Lie ended up getting mouth ulcers, and it wasn't until he drank chrysanthemum tea made from wild chrysanthemums picked by Dawa in the back mountains for a few days that the ulcers finally subsided.

They continued eating mangoes until the end of July when the mango season was over, and then they stopped.

One day, Shen Lie was reading the newspaper at home when he suddenly saw a piece of news. The gist of it was that the Ministry of Education was going to hold a national conference on university admissions in the capital city in September this year.

Shen Lie pointed to the newspaper and said to Ning Tang, "Look at this news. They're going to hold a national conference on university admissions." He clicked his tongue and continued, "Why would they suddenly hold a meeting? Could it be that they're planning to restore the college entrance examination?"

As soon as he finished speaking, Shen Lie himself was taken aback. Upon careful consideration, it did seem like a possibility.

Ning Tang had known for a long time that the meeting would be held in September and the news of the restoration of the college entrance examination would be announced at the end of October. However, she pretended to be surprised and said, "That's great! Dawa, Erniu, and Sanwa will be able to take the college entrance examination in the future."

"It is indeed a good thing. Previously, we could only rely on recommendations to enter the Workers, Peasants, and Soldiers University, and they only accepted a limited number of students each year. If the college entrance examination is restored, more universities will enroll students, and there will be more opportunities for students to go to college," Shen Lie glanced at the three children playing in the living room. "Perhaps our family might produce three university students."

Dawa chuckled, "It's impossible to rely on me, but maybe we can count on Erniu and Sanwa."

Shen Lie smiled, "You should have more confidence. I guarantee that you will be able to pass the college entrance examination."

Erniu tilted their head and asked, "What does it mean to go to college?"

It was not surprising that Erniu asked this question. On the island, there were only primary schools to high schools, and the college entrance examination had not been held for nearly ten years. Erniu had no idea that going to college was a normal thing.

Shen Lie explained to her, "Going to college is just like you going to primary school, middle school, and high school. It means going to study and having teachers and classmates, just like before."

Erniu nodded, "So it's like going to a different place to study."

Ning Tang said, "It's quite far away actually. Our island doesn't have a university. If you want to go to college, it's best to go to a big city where there are good universities, majors, and teachers."

Sanwa became unhappy and didn't want to leave Shen Lie and Ning Tang. Pouting, they said, "Then I won't go to college."

Ning Tang pinched his little face and said, "That's fine. You can stay at home and keep me company."