Chapter 69: True and False

"It shouldn't be. Haven't you heard what the boatman said? This is Hailang," Bai Xiaofen looked around. "But it has indeed changed a lot compared to before."

The previous Hailang was nothing like it is now. Coconut trees and fruit trees were only extensively planted in recent years.

Looking at the coconuts hanging from the coconut trees, the ripe mangoes on the mango tree, and the green and yellow oranges on the orange tree, a hint of greed flashed in Bai Xiaofen's eyes. She couldn't help but say, "When we go back, let's pick some of these fruits and take them with us."

Liang Dong said solemnly, "We can do that, but don't forget why we came here in the first place. Don't lose sight of the bigger picture over something trivial."

Bai Xiaofen shrugged dismissively. "It's just about money. If we can get it the first time, we can get it the second time." She asked, "Do you think Shen Lie will agree to give us five hundred yuan? He scolded us harshly in his letter."

"You don't understand," Liang Dong said. "If Shen Lie didn't care about our relationship with his family, he wouldn't even bother replying to our letter. He scolded us because there's still room for further interaction. No matter what, we are the maternal great-uncle and maternal great-aunt of his children, or even the maternal great-grandfather and maternal great-grandmother. We have blood ties, and he can't ignore that unless he wants his children to be ostracized." Liang Dong explained.

He smirked cunningly, "Do you know why I asked for five hundred yuan instead of just two hundred yuan like last time?"

Bai Xiaofen shook her head. "I don't know."

"You're foolish," Liang Dong glanced at her. "Shen Lie is a company commander. He must have earned quite a bit in recent years. But with three young children to support, he definitely can't spare five hundred yuan. When I ask for five hundred yuan, it gives him room to negotiate."

"I know he'll say he doesn't have it, just like last time at the funeral when he offered two hundred yuan. I'll say it's not enough and insist on five hundred yuan. That's when he'll propose a compromise and offer three hundred yuan. He won't give any more than that," Liang Dong chuckled. "That way, we'll end up with three hundred yuan for free. We'll have gained an extra hundred yuan compared to last time."

"You're so clever, head of the family," Bai Xiaofen praised with a flattering tone, giving a thumbs-up to Liang Dong . "With you around, our family will thrive."

"What's the point of thriving?" Liang Dong sighed. "If it weren't for our disappointing Ruijie, why would we have to resort to begging for money with our old faces?"

Bai Xiaofen didn't think so. "Ruijie is a late bloomer. We'll have our time to enjoy life together in the future."

Liang Dong 's expectations for their only son were no less than Bai Xiaofen's. He made a sound of agreement. "That chubby aunt's son in our neighborhood is attending night school. I heard that he'll receive a high school diploma when he finishes, and he'll directly get an office job at the factory. Sitting in an office is much easier than doing manual labor. When we have the money, let's send Ruijie to night school too."

Bai Xiaofen nodded repeatedly. "I'll follow your lead. Let's send Ruijie to night school. Our Ruijie is destined to be a high school student, working in an office."

The couple had already begun fantasizing about their wonderful life after getting the money.

After walking for a while, they noticed something was amiss.

Bai Xiaofen said, "Head of the family, haven't we seen this coconut tree before?"

A barely noticeable embarrassment flashed across Liang Dong 's face. "Nonsense, aren't all coconut trees the same?"