Chapter 77: Foolish Man

Ning Tang handed a glass of water to Erniu, who gulped down several sips quickly. She was afraid she might need to use the restroom when it was her turn to go on stage, so she didn't dare to drink too much.

After finishing their performance, it felt like a huge burden had been lifted from Erniu's shoulders. She sat on a stool and started snacking, sometimes eating a piece of osmanthus cake, sometimes munching on peanuts, enjoying herself.

The grand chorus performance by Erniu's class was so outstanding that the following class performances seemed rather ordinary.

There were students forgetting their lines during poetry recitation, dancers making mistakes in their moves, and the chorus going off-key. It had it all.

Finally, it was time for Dawa's class to perform.

Shen Lie's spirit was lifted, and he nudged Ning Tang with his elbow. "Look, it's Dawa's class's turn."

Ning Tang replied, "I see." The red and blue neckties they wore were quite eye-catching.

Dawa stood in the front row, and when he saw Ning Tang, Shen Lie, and Erniu, he playfully winked at them and stuck out his tongue.

Shen Lie really wanted to scold him. The performance was about to begin, yet this kid still had the time to make faces at them.

Dahu gave a tug on Dawa's hand, signaling that it was time to start the performance. Only then did Dawa compose himself.

Dawa's class was in the sixth grade, Class 2. They were considered the higher grade, and performances by older students were different from those of younger students. Younger children often lacked composure and would frequently make mistakes during performances. Therefore, the audience below the stage had high expectations for Dawa's class's performance.

The performance began, and all the teachers and students from Class 2 of 6 started reciting together, "The reforming spring breeze blows across the land."

Just as they finished reciting the first line, a clear sound came from somewhere, "Goo—"

Initially, nobody noticed the sound, and everyone remained fully focused on Dawa's class's performance.

"The people of Huaxia are truly impressive."

"Goo—"

"...the magnificent land."

"Goo—goo—" Two more sounds rang out.

Shen Lie and the others were sitting near the front and could hear it clearly. Shen Lie looked puzzled and asked Ning Tang, "Did a frog from somewhere jump on stage? Why are they making these croaking sounds?"

Ning Tang couldn't hold back her laughter and said, "It's not a frog, frogs don't make these sounds. Listen carefully, it's clearly the sound of a hungry stomach growling."

Shen Lie perked up his ears and after a moment, he could distinguish it. Indeed, it was the sound of a growling stomach, as if singing the Empty City Strategy. "Haha, what's going on with Dawa's class?"

"What's going on? They're hungry," Ning Tang replied. "They haven't eaten anything for nearly half the night. If it were you, wouldn't your stomach be growling too?"

Ning Tang and Shen Lie listened for a while longer.

The pauses in the poetry recitation were particularly long, as they needed to build up the emotions. As a result, the intermittent "goo-goo" sounds became even more noticeable.

Fortunately, the sound wasn't very loud. Only those sitting in the front rows, almost next to the stage, could hear and see it clearly. Those in the back rows couldn't hear a thing.