Chapter 10: Wishful Thinking

Ning Tang had a clear understanding of her position - she and Shen Lie were just living together. She used Shen Lie to avoid doing farm work, and in return, Shen Lie used her to take care of his three children. In other words, it was a mutually beneficial arrangement, and she was just a live-in housekeeper.

However, she could guarantee that under her care, the three children would not be in any danger. But to expect her to care for the Su twins like Ning Xue did in the original story, to look after their daily needs like an old mother, was pure wishful thinking.

She couldn't even take care of herself properly, let alone the three children. It was just a pipe dream.

Dawa, Ernie, and Sanwa exchanged a glance, and Sanwa stared at Ning Tang lying in the rocking chair with expectant eyes.

Ning Tang closed her eyes and ignored the children's gaze. She lay on the rocking chair, swaying back and forth, and the only sound in the living room was the creaking of the rocking chair.

To be honest, Dawa didn't quite believe that Ning Tang would really abandon them.

The three children sat at the table for a while, and it wasn't until they heard Ning Tang's faint snoring that they were dumbfounded.

What should they do? Was the stepmother really telling the truth?!

Ernie nudged the Dawa with her elbow, "Brother, that woman seems to be serious. What should we do? Should we really keep putting up with her?"

Sanwa blinked his big, cute, grape-like eyes and looked at the Dawa with a childish voice, "Brother, I'm hungry~"

Dawa is the oldest among the three children and the backbone of the group. Erniu and Sanwa listen to his commands.

Dawa hesitated for a moment with a serious expression on his little face. Seeing that Ning Tang completely ignored their presence, he waved his hand and said, "Let's go, we'll serve ourselves."

Dawa walked ahead while Erniu and Sanwa followed closely behind.

The three children entered the kitchen, and Dawa grabbed a small stool from behind the door and placed it in front of the stove. With a few steps, he climbed onto the stool.

Erniu took a bowl out of the cupboard and handed it to Dawa. He took the bowl with one hand, lifted the lid with the other hand, placed the lid on the stove, and then used a large iron spoon to scoop a full bowl of soup.

Sanwa squatted obediently next to them, watching his older siblings work.

With the joint efforts of Dawa and Erniu, three bowls of soup were quickly prepared.

Ning Tang opened one eye and secretly observed the activity in the kitchen. Seeing the two children skillfully serving the soup, she quietly breathed a sigh of relief.

She had just woken up and couldn't fall asleep so quickly on the rocking chair. She was pretending to sleep to trick the three children.

Dawa came out of the kitchen holding two bowls in his hands, with Erniu following closely behind holding two bowls. Sanwa, the little follower, still followed behind the two older children, taking one step for every step they took. Seeing them come out, Ning Tang quickly closed the one open eye and continued to snore: Zzzzz.

Dawa glanced at Ning Tang and saw that she was still asleep. His little face wrinkled in anger, and he placed the two bowls heavily on the table, making a "bang" sound, trying to startle Ning Tang.

However, Ning Tang had no reaction at all.

The three children looked at each other. Dawa and Erniu saw the same cunning in each other's eyes. They picked up their chopsticks and bowls and deliberately ate the noodle soup loudly, making a series of "slurping" sounds.