Chapter 24: Night Chat

Erniu widened her eyes, "Can we eat jackfruit seeds?"

Without thinking, Dawa retorted, "Definitely not. I've never seen anyone eating jackfruit seeds. They're always discarded after peeling."

Upon hearing that jackfruit seeds could be eaten, Sanwa grabbed one without hesitation and bit into it with his little milk teeth.

Ning Tang quickly rescued the jackfruit seed from his mouth, and Sanwa made a bitter face and spat a few times. "Stepmother, you're lying. jackfruit seeds are definitely not edible."

"I'm not lying. Don't you all believe that jackfruit seeds can be eaten?" Ning Tang asked them, then she thought for a moment and said, "How about we make a bet?"

Dawa eagerly said, "Let's bet."

Sanwa had already tried it earlier and knew that jackfruit seeds couldn't be eaten, so he wasn't afraid to bet with Ning Tang.

But Dawa remembered Ning Tang is cunning, so he added, "You have to prove not only that jackfruit seeds can be eaten, but also that they taste good. It's not enough to just say they can be eaten." He was afraid Ning Tang would twist her words.

Ning Tang secretly chuckled in her heart but put on a hesitant expression. "Earlier, I only said that jackfruit seeds can be eaten, not that they taste good."

Dawa thought he had succeeded and his tail almost wagged up to the sky. "Then let's not bet."

"No, we have to bet," Ning Tang pretended to grit her teeth. "You first propose the terms of the bet."

Dawa thought for a moment. "If we win, you have to cook grilled oysters and garlic vermicelli scallops for a week."

"And if you lose?" Ning Tang asked.

Dawa decisively said, "You decide."

"Then you have to help me buy groceries for a week, deal?" Ning Tang said.

Dawa was speechless. "I can tell, you just don't want to wake up early."

"Nonsense," Ning Tang replied. "Anyway, you will definitely win against me in the bet. If I lose, I have to cook grilled oysters and garlic vermicelli scallops for a week, but if you lose, you just have to help me buy groceries for a week. Isn't that a good deal?"

"A good deal—" Dawa emphasized, "my foot! But I'll bet with you anyway because you can't possibly win."

Upon hearing Dawa agree to the bet, Ning Tang finally revealed a smug smile. "Well, watch carefully then."

Dawa, seeing Ning Tang's triumphant smile, finally realized that he might have been tricked.

However, it was already too late.

Ning Tang carefully washed off the mucus from the jackfruit seeds with saltwater and boiled them in a pot. Before long, the clear water in the pot turned into a dark red color.

Using a sieve, Ning Tang scooped out the cooked jackfruit seeds and placed them in a bowl. She handed the bowl to Dawa. "You three judges, taste it and see if it's delicious."

Dawa tiptoed to get a look at the dark red water in the pot, wearing a disgusted expression. "If it looks like this after boiling, how can it taste good?"

"Well, if you don't want to eat it, then I'll be the only one to eat it. Even if I say it's delicious, you won't believe me," Ning Tang said. "Don't worry, it's edible. If you don't believe me, try it."

"Fine." Dawa took a jackfruit seed with half-belief and stuffed it into his mouth. Ning Tang quickly stopped him. "You haven't peeled it yet."

She took a jackfruit seed and demonstrated to the three children how to peel it. The cooked jackfruit seed could easily be peeled. She lightly pinched it with her thumb and forefinger to create a gap, and then peeled off the outer layer, revealing the edible part inside.