Chapter 36 Tying Up Loose Ends

Naruto and his teammates were currently in a back to back triangle formation as they scanned the forest trying to find their opponent while Naruto's five clones were running a search grid. All of a sudden Naruto caught a whistling sound with his heightened hearing.

Not taking any chances he called out "Break!" before jumping up and back from the formation while his two teammates rolled to the sides getting clear a split second before a golden arrow that looked like it could have been shot from a ballista's younger brother came at them at high speed before it embedded itself into the ground leaving a smoking crater.

Matto whistled from his crouched position and said "Now that's what I call death from above!"

Naruto saw Heza frowning while looking along the arrow's flight path as best she could before cautiously taking a step towards the five foot arrow. Getting close to it while keeping her senses peeled for a follow up attack, Heza studied the arrow and was able to see a chakra string before it disconnected.

"So that's how he did it." Heza mumbled to herself. Naruto and Matto heard her anyway.

"Did what Heza?" Matto asked while also looking through the forest in the direction the shot came from.

"He used a chakra thread to direct the path of the arrow so it wouldn't hit any branches on its way here which would have slowed it down. That's why it had so much piercing power."

Matto got an "oh" look on his face while he kept trying to spot their attacker.

As she said this Naruto directed his clones to start searching in a corridor search grid along a path starting one hundred feet from the arrow and heading away from the trio.

Five hundred yards away, Kidomaru was in his second curse seal form watching the three as they were looking towards him. He smirked before spitting out a blob of gold silk which hardened into another arrow that he nocked into the string of a six foot tall longbow that he drew back with his teeth.

Back with the Team 7, Naruto frowned before turning to Heza and said "How far can you shoot and still be at least ninety percent accurate?"

Heza cocked her head and said "I've got a jutsu that lets me shoot up to eight hundred yards before losing penetration, but I'm only good at six hundred so far and that's with a clear shot. I could still hit at that range here but I won't know where to shoot."

Naruto nodded before all three heard that whistling sound again and took cover behind the trees as another arrow landed right where Heza was a second ago.

As the smoke cleared, Matto shook his head when he saw the second arrow even further in the ground than the first and said "That guy doesn't play around does he?"

Naruto frowned and then grinned when his clones triangulated their opponent's position and told him where he was. Turning to Heza who was behind a tree to his left, he gestured for her to start her jutsu. Heza nodded and ran through a quick series of hand signs before softly calling out "Earth Style: Longbow Jutsu."

A small bump appeared on the ground in front of her before rising up from the ground revealing a five foot long bow made out of rock with a bow string made out of chakra. As Heza grabbed the bow, chakra converged on her back before turning into a quiver of diamond tipped arrows.

Heza drew and nocked an arrow before turning to Naruto and nodded.

Naruto nodded as well and sent a quick inquiry to his clones confirming the enemy's position. Getting final confirmation, Naruto said "Six O'clock. Two degrees towards Five. Forty six degrees high." (If anyone can come up with a better sighting I can change it but I can't think of how high Kidomaru would have to be to make his shots since they never said how tall the trees are.)