chapter 21 Chunnin Exams: Seond Stage

Chunnin Exams: Second Stage/Call of Duty: Brothers in Arms

Naruto exited the classroom and headed towards the forest. His head was lowered as he thought about what he had just done in the classroom. On the second floor, he had told his team to not say anything about the genjustu to keep the competition down. And yet, in the first exam, he had rallied everyone there to stay. He couldn't figure out why he did that and it was driving him insane. It had just felt right at the time.

The kyubi sensed this and sent a thought to his adopted son.

"Seems like you allowed your leader side to take over back in there. Your birth father most likely would have done the same. From what I've heard, that man could lead armies to the gates of hell and they would believe he would get them back out. You are becoming more and more like him in that regard everyday kit."

Naruto absentmindedly nodded and looked back up. He thought about the message he left Ibiki. He then thought about what he knew of the second test. He was sure that whatever Anko had planned in the forest would not be fun for most of the people here. Oh sure he could handle it, but that was only because he had practically lived there sometimes when he and Mizuki would train there during his academy years.

And that had not been all fun and games. For the first month, Mizuki had had to constantly safe his rear end as the rather large creatures tried turning him into a snack. Oddly for some reason that neither for the life of them could figure out, the creatures never went after the shadow clones that had been training. After that month though, Naruto was able to get to the point where he could actually make escaping those monsters training. And six months after they started he was at the point where if he had to, he could make them think twice about going after him.

Naruto thought back on those times and looked at the two rook teams in front of him. Sakura and Sasuke he knew could hold their own if they ever got separated in there for a short time. He and Kakashi had made a point of making sure they could handle themselves against multiple opponents that were stronger than them until reinforcements could come. But besides Hinata, he had no idea what the rest of the rooks could do. Naruto frowned as he realized that the forest might be too much for them.

Sighing again at how he was letting his leader side once again get the best of him he called out "Teams 8 & 10! I need a word with you."

Said rook teams stopped and turned around to face him while the rest of the teams gave them a weird look but kept going. Sakura and Sasuke gave Naruto a confused look but did not say anything as they caught up with the other rooks.

Before the rooks could ask what he wanted, Naruto said "Guys, I don't mean to offend, but I know exactly what is in that forest, and except for maybe Hinata, I don't think you're ready for what's in there."

Kiba suddenly interrupted before he could continue "Are you saying we should drop out? Because if so then I ought to hit you right now!"

Naruto sighed and said "Let me finish Inuzuka. As I was saying, the forest might be a little much for you guys so I was going to give you some help if you want it."

This time it was Shikamaru who spoke up "Why would you want to help us though?"

Naruto sighed and said "Things are not what they seem Nara. I want to make sure that you guys don't get too far above your heads. Now do you guys want my help or not?"

Before the others could say they did not need help, Hinata spoke up. "If Naruto thinks that there could be trouble for us, then we should take him seriously. He has trained in that forest for almost two years and knows the area better than most shinobi. If he wants to help then we should accept his offer."